Bolivian Organic

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Bolivian Organic

Postby DrZeus » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:12 am

I am very pleased at the latest roasts I've been making with my popper, thanks to the suggestion of turning it off and on at various intervals. I tried doing the 15s on/15s off thing, but it interrupted my meditation (too much science, I guess) so I started just doing it by feel. I just finished back-to-back roasts of Bolivian Organic (purchased from HasBean) and I was able to get both roasts right on a medium, with only the slighest of oil on the surface. Not only that, but the time between 1st and 2nd cracks were most definitely longer, so I'm really looking forward to this one (I'll let it rest for 12 hours before I try it).

This is the first time I've ever done a two roasts in a row, and the popper handled it beautifully. I'm excited that I was able to replicate the profile just by sense, too. (okay, so I'm feeling a big smug right now).

My American Thanksgiving holiday came and went yesterday -- first time with me being outside the country. Mixed feelings...but it was a good day for me, even without all festivities. At least I had some great coffee! :)
DrZeus

Postby mnemonix » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:32 pm

Hi,

glad it worked for you ! it adds a whole new dimension to roasting as you can control the roast profile as well as the end point - fast or slow drying of the beans, time spent prior to first crack for the maillard reactions and time spent between the cracks for caramelization and roast taste. Unfortunately in my case, more variables means more experimentation and less consistency !

chris.
mnemonix

Postby phil » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:47 pm

I hope you like the Bolivian - everyone at the get-together loved it during the cupping, and we all went away with bags of it under our arms!

Strongest take-home from this stuff : chocolate. Really smooth. Very nice stuff indeed.
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:32 pm

Too bad my Hearthware PR can't switch between on and of (if I start cooling I can't get back to roasting again) as this really sounds great!

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Steve » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:25 pm

I'm sure phil will fill you in on the variac :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:32 am

And Eward can tell you all about PID ;) !
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:00 am

UPDATE: After a 24 hour rest (the beans, not me) I had my first taste with my single-shot moka pot. The moka pot brought out it's natural sweetness, and yes, some definite chocolate undertones. Fantastic stuff! I'm SO glad that I double-batched this one. :)

I need to start logging again...I started doing it in the U.S., but now that I'm roasting again, I've just been having fun doing "this and that" without any rhyme nor reason to it. :)
DrZeus

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping