This week's blend, how about yours?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

This week's blend, how about yours?

Postby simonp » Wed May 18, 2005 7:49 pm

At the risk of boring everyone stupid, here is this weeks espreso blend.

40% Brazilian Cachoeira
30% Sulawesi (Kalosi)
20% Harrar
10% Guatamalan Antigua

The Brazil and Harrar were roasted together (both being dry processed beans) about 15-20 seconds into 2nd crack, what I would describe a lighter Northern Italian roast.

The Sulawesi and Antigua were roasted together (both needing a longer roast), and were taken to a rolling 2nd crack, perhaps a little darker than I usually roast, as there was some visible smoke out of the Imex. There was still no surface oil after the roast was done, just a few divots out of the beans.

This blend needs a much coarser grind than the previous one I had been drinking (some home roast Toba Sulawesi from Hasbean), about 3 steps on the Rocky.

As with most Cachoeira based blends I find that at least 2 days rest is needed, or the pour has very foamy crema that drops quickly in the cup.

The taste is sweet, as expected with the Cach, there is some good smooth body and just a hint of somkeyness from the Sulawesi, the Harrar gives a fruity wineyness, and the Guat a liquoricy bite and sharpness.
I like this as a full double, it is quite well ballanced. As a 30ml double ristretto there is maybe a little too much dry wineyness from the Harrar for my taste, but that was at 2 days rest so it may mellow. In a cappuccino (with a double shot) it perhaps lacks a little bite and the crema is a liitle light in colour so doesn't look quite so pretty (if that really matters), but still taste quite good.

I must admit that my favourite blends recently have had a Cach/ dark roast Sulawesi as the base. This seems a good combination to add some highlight beans to.

How about some others putting their current blends up whether their own, or a pre-blend. It would be interesting to see what others are drinking :D

Simon
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Steve » Wed May 18, 2005 8:49 pm

I love your blend's simon so please keep posting them. They inspire me to try new things. My favorite at the moment is

40% Ethiopian Yirg
25% Brazilian Cachoeira
25% Java
10% Robusta (I know leave me alone)

Sweet sweet Sweet. Burnt sugar mixed with a tang of rich mouth feel and body. I've been drinking that much Toba recently its nice to have something a little sweeter
Steve
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Wed May 18, 2005 9:13 pm

Steve wrote:I love your blend's simon so please keep posting them. They inspire me to try new things.

Thanks mate, at least I'm not just amusing myself (ooerr :lol: )

Wow, 40% Yirg :shock: I have to keep it below 20%, or I find it too sharp for my taste, unless I'm under-roasting.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Steve » Wed May 18, 2005 9:20 pm

Sharp is good :) The earhtyness of the Toba has made me miss all those sweet high notes.

Must be a phase I'm going through :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Wed May 18, 2005 11:36 pm

It could be the air roasting, or the Silvia, but too much Yirg gives me an over-sharp taste tending towars lemony sourness. At the moment I'm prefering Harrar for high notes.

I must roast up some more robusta, I've not used any in blends recently. It might go well with the current one, giving it a bit of a kick :D . I have some Nanga farms stuff from Sweet Marias, which smells really nice roasted.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby stevenzaat » Tue May 24, 2005 9:10 pm

Simon,

I have the same experience with Yirg, it has too much lemon tastes especially for espresso. I have 2 kilogram in stock, but think i will never use it again, unless somebody can convince me.

As the same with Steve I also read your blends and try them. My current blend is the SM Monkey blend, which I really like. Another favourite is Steve's Mexican Peaberries (50%) with Steve's Java beans (50%) or based on your (Simon) blend: 40% Cachoera, 20% Nicaragua Lazohoren, 20% Colombian Supremo and 20% Sumatra Lintong.

This week I will try to roast Yemen Mokha Ismaili, any suggestion for a blend is welcome!

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby wang » Tue May 24, 2005 9:49 pm

Ahh, I'm running out of yirg and I love the stuff! *jealous looks*

My blend of the week is 50:50 Yemen Mokha Ismali with Sumatra Mandheling, and I'm not quite sure where I roasted it to - a bit after second crack buwt not quite rolling. The cracks were quite stealthy, cheeky little monkey of a blend. It's a bit darker than I like it but tastes nice enough. Would've really been something if I stopped it a minute earlier though.
solis maestro, bodum columbia, starbucks extreme mug
rancilio rocky and nancy
swissmar alpenrost
black & decker heatgun
lidl brand air popper
wang

Postby simonp » Tue May 24, 2005 11:43 pm

stevenzaat wrote:My current blend is the SM Monkey blend

Damn nice isn't it, quite an amazing chocolate taste in there, and lively highlights too.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby stevenzaat » Wed May 25, 2005 6:55 am

simonp wrote:
stevenzaat wrote:My current blend is the SM Monkey blend

Damn nice isn't it, quite an amazing chocolate taste in there, and lively highlights too.

Yes you are right Simon, it is full of chocolate and I am already suspect them that they really used some cacao beans in it. It is a pitty that I just ordered 10 ounces, so it is already almost out odf stock. I am looking forward to the Yemen coffee. As Mr Blender of TMC, do you have any suggestions ?

Best regards

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby simonp » Thu May 26, 2005 12:03 am

I have only used Yemen occasionally so not really an expert. It is usually quite spicy, so I tend to use it around 20% as a livener in a blend, e.g. in my original blend in this post, you could replce the Harrar with Yemen for a spicier blend. I believe it gets quite chocoaltey in darker roasts.

You could also try the classic Moka/Java blend, which is 50/50 Java, and the Yemen. Originally for conventional brewing, but often used as espresso too.

Currently I'm drinking Yuaco Selecto (Sweet Marias) as a single origin espresso, and it is really nice in a light (just the absolute first snap of second crack) roast, a real smooth full flavour.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping