Yemen Mokha Haimi

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Yemen Mokha Haimi

Postby mnemonix » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:57 am

Now this cf the Kona is great. Perhaps I'm just a philistine and need to be whacked upside the head with a pronounced varietal flavour to appreciate anything but It's not like any coffee I've had before. First roast was lightish and the 'spicyness' was almost overwelming. The current roast I did darker, the body and mouthfeel are improved, the spice is still there but ultimately gives way to a chocolatety roast flavour. Perhaps someone can help me out with identifying the spice flavours ?

Chris
mnemonix

Postby phil » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:14 pm

Interesting. I chose the Mattari instead (a few months ago now) and my experience of that is it's a lot less interesting. Notwithstanding Tom's review, I find this one a lot less subtle.

Spicey - are we talking cardamom, clove or maybe heading towards the nutmeg or cinammon? Does this give you any ideas? (Of course you can just send me some :) )
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:26 pm

I'm not a yemen fan at all so proberbly not the best to give my opinion. But its unlike me not to have an opinion so here goes :)

I find yemen quite sour if taken light. Its better dark but I too miss heavy spice but again left to rest the spice is there. Theres deffinate wood wood there which makes it interesting. But each time I try Yemen theres something else there. I think that is due to roast being so important and having a dramatic influence on taste. Not one I choose to drink often
Steve
Founder Member

Postby mnemonix » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:34 am

Phil, email me off forum if you fancy 125g green or roasted, I'd be more generous if only I'd ordered more of it in the first place !

Chris
mnemonix

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping