Simonp's blends posts - long time no see

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Simonp's blends posts - long time no see

Postby simonp » Thu May 12, 2005 11:38 am

I had a few spare moments, so I thought I'd post my latest blending experiment.

This was based on a blend idea I got from somewhere (can't remember where) quite a while ago. It is supposed to give a taste profile similar to Illy (or what Illy would be if you could get it fresh!). It goes thus:

40% Brazilian - I used Santa Terezina (I think it was) that I had a bag lying around that needed using
20% Yemen
20% Dry processed Sumatran or Sulawesi - I used some Lintong, half of which was aged Lintong as I ran out of normal.
20% Clean lively washed Central American, PNG, or Indian - I used Indian Planation A

I roasted the Brazilian and Yemen together, about 20 seconds in to 2nd crack, just before it gained pace.

The Indian and Lintong I roasted together, just a little further into 2nd, stopping just as the snaps got rapid.

Both roasts had no oil, and after 3 days rest still no spots.

The taste is good, smoother than I expected with the Yemen and Indian. There is certainly a spicy edge, and some good low earthiness from the Lintong, the aged adding some bite and smokeyness. It does taste really bad if the pour is not good though. I ran one shot where I hadn't quite distributed properly and the pour was pale, it tased sharp and rubbery :x When the pour is good though it is really nice, not a chocolately espresso, but still quite sweet. Ceratinly works well with milk too, the smokeyness of the aged lintong cuts through nicely.

Definitely worth a go if you like a spicy espresso with lowish acidity.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping