'Aged' coffee query

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

'Aged' coffee query

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue May 03, 2005 10:20 pm

Hi
I like Monsooned Malabar, which I believe is an aged coffee. I tried TMC's search engine for help in pointing me towards a list of other 'aged' varieties, but got lost in a loop : newbie-itus I guess.

Pete
Bertie_Doe

Postby zix » Wed May 04, 2005 5:00 pm

The ones I have tried are Old Java and Old Brown Sulawesi (Sulawesi is sometimes also called Celebes, the old dutch name, or could be called aged Kalossi). Both are Indonesian coffees (I think?) and taste different to the Monsooned Malabar. I like both, but you should know that with aged coffees, every year´s "crop" is different, and your Old Java may not be the same as mine... Just like with non aged green beans :)
There are other aged Indonesians too, aged Sumatras for example (aged Mandheling, aged Lintong and so on), and aged ethiopians. I have not been able to try them so far.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu May 05, 2005 8:55 pm

Thanks for the info zix. We realy are spoiled for choice out there. I roasted some Haraar and OB Java today. I haven't tried OB Sulawesi yet - I must give it a try. Thanks again.

Pete
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby mattmills » Mon May 09, 2005 2:21 pm

These are the two most commonly traded, however, there are a few movements going around that could add to this.

Datterra Estate in Brazil, have been doing some wonderful experiments with their aged coffees. These are kept for 1 year in vacum packs... In a recent cupping session we found that the aged coffees were prefered... more ballenced and the sweet acidity is more developed. This is creating the possibility of vintage!!! crops. But we wait and see on this front.

In my own experiments, I have had some interesting results on some ethiopean coffees, both on the washed and naturals... With espresso cupping the coffees showed a smoother, more rounded and more versitile coffee (at least for espresso). However, saying that, with the washed coffees the some of the sweet acidity is lost.

The probelm with this is the storage and the added cost. With coffees such as the Monsson and the Old Brown (Government) Java, it is an excepted process, but it would be difficult for others to justify the added cost.
mattmills

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping