How to select a good blend?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How to select a good blend?

Postby moniek » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:31 am

Hello,

I'm in the process of selecting a blend for my work. I do know how to make a good espresso from all kinds of blends/SO/brands, and I know a fair bit about coffee in general. But I could use some advise about selecting a "house"blend.

I visited several roasters and have been tasting coffees. There were some defint NO WAYS :shock: and some "this is very very nice!" :D . But how to get to the point of making the decision?

Ofcourse I'm looking for quality, taste, freshness but I also have to keep my eye on the price and reputation of the roaster.

Has anyone been through this proces? All advise is welcome!

Thanks,

Moniek
Working with: LaMarzocco, Mirage
Grinder: Macap, Mahlkonig K60es
Wouldn't mind: La Scala Butterfly for home use..
moniek

Postby Joey » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:02 am

1) try the coffee on your machine, too
2) get some guineapigs
3) try the coffee with all recipies (+milk, +cream....)
4) important are the customers you are attending
For example, I once sold a blend to a gastronomer for his Café. He wanted something that tasted strong like Segafredo. He got a real spicy, long lasting aftertaste - blend. After two weeks he changed to something milder again, because the old ladies who usually visit his Café almost got a hard attack. (of course not because of the caffeine - but people still think if the taste is intense - the coffee must be "strong")
In my Café a stronger blend is preferd. I have guests from the theatre, business people, customers from the market who wanna taste differences....coffee in Vienna is usually weak or burnt. So they want the difference. My milder blend is not often ordered. But that's my situation.

just my 2 cents
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby phil » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:08 am

Guinea pigs? Never fancied one as a pet. Do they like coffee then?

I'm told they taste good roasted though.

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood. :roll:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby ivdp » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:39 pm

No secrets here: keep trying till you find what you like best.

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Beanie » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:32 am

Hi Moniek :)

I totally understand where you're coming from :) Apart from the good advice from Joey as usual, I decided that I would need to cheat here.

If I understand it properly, you want to choose only ONE blend, correct? Well, I decided to (cheat) approach it the way most "horeca" establishments choose their "house" wines: white, red, rose. So, if (sounds like it) you've narrowed your choices down to 2 or 3, I say, why not start off with those? You can always phase out the unpopular one :) Even if having more than one blend is not an option, perhaps you can manage to have at least 2 for a 6 week period to test? And this would also be a test for the roaster: get a free loaner grinder for the 2nd option.

Hope this helps & do let tell what you decide..
Marcy :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Joey » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:06 am

Marcie is right - you can always have a "coffee of the week" and try other coffees, too. If one is very popular, keep it.
joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby moniek » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:10 am

Marcie, Joey,

Thank you for the advise. I will visit two more roasters in the coming weeks. I will do a "try out" with a few coffees at different events and at our street location in the hague.

It's great to be able to select a coffee, but I think it's far more difficult than I thought it would be! Still learning every day, which is very nice. :D

So still, all advise is welcome!

Moniek
Working with: LaMarzocco, Mirage
Grinder: Macap, Mahlkonig K60es
Wouldn't mind: La Scala Butterfly for home use..
moniek

Postby stevenzaat » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:33 pm

Moniek,

I am not a professional blender, but I indeed would suggest to start with a very comon blend (see the several threads of Simon P.) e.g. 50% Brazil Cachoera, 30% Colombian, 20% Lintong. Furthermore try to taste serval single origins in which you see some flavour notes with you would like to have in an espresso. After you have picked the single origins you like to start with the following procedure, also suggested by IVDP in another thread, but I like this method:
* Liquify the coffees seperately
* From the liquids start your blending session. Mix/blend by the spoon: 50/50 - 30/30/30 etc.
Maybe you should do this with another person to get the perfect blend also for other customers.

But as stated before start with a typical espresso bean as the main part (50% Brazil Cachoera) and add whetever you like.

OK, I hope this helps and good luck in your journey for the perfect blend.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby stevenzaat » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:00 pm

Moniek,

Some other basics about blending, which I find very informative, can be found on Sweetmarias:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/blending.html

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping