nepal himalaya

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

nepal himalaya

Postby jumper » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:43 pm

i got them from jan (coffeefreak) at the barista championship.
and i just love them.
i had some doubts at first because they had a bit of a weird smell after i roasted them, wich i did at work on the probat so i wouldn't screw them up with my heatgun.
and i tasted them tonight and theur great nice thick golden crema and a powerfull taste.

tnx for the experience jan! :D
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby stevenzaat » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:03 pm

I also like them very much, but I didn't use them in the espresso. I will ty tomorrow. As a French press it has a mixture of the silky taste of an Indonesian and the good acidity of a Kenya. Maybe I will write a cupping review (after the report of the Dutch Barista Championships, which is almost finished) but I think that there is not enough after the espresso of tomorrow to use for the cupping review. Anyway Jan also many thanks from me.

best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

nepal himalaya

Postby coffeefreak » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Thanks guy's. I'm not sure but at the moment (besides me and my supplier) you're the only lucky fellows who tasted the Nepal coffee. It's not available (yet) for commercial use. I don't think it will be that interesting because of the price. When Steven is making the cupping review I will hand out some more back ground information to him.

Oh, by the way the price of 1 Kg. Green Nepal coffee will be € XX :oops: exclusive postage (sorry if anyone have seen the price before I edit this message. We're not allowed to advertise here)

Jan "Coffee Freak" Schuitemaker
Last edited by coffeefreak on Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coffee roasted or green, it can be plesant or mean.
coffeefreak

Postby Beanie » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:44 pm

I'm really excited now... was going to roast it on the wknd... but didn't, so it's tonight or tomorrow. What sort of roast levels did you guys go for? I forgot what Jan's wife told me would bring out the best in it :(
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby stevenzaat » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:50 pm

Marcy,

I roasted it into the 1st seconds of the second crack. You will enjoy it.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby jumper » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:39 pm

as i'm drinking the last drops of probably the last cup for some time.... :(
i roasted them about 10 sec into second crack but there's probably some diff. between stevens hottop and the way i did it i would gues it would roast 30 seconds in to second crack
mark
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby Beanie » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:45 pm

Thanks guys :) Is that the start of 2nd or when it starts getting a bit active in 2nd?
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby stevenzaat » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:48 pm

It is the start (after the third or fourt crack). You will hear more cracks when the cooling cycle has started.

Best regards,

Steven

stevenzaat

Postby Beanie » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:39 pm

Okay, going to try it now.

Thanks again.
ps. Hope the YMs get here soon :)
Beanie

Postby ivdp » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:53 am

If we are talking about the Semi Washed Nepal Himalaya coffee from a certain source in Hoorn, I am surprised that you like this old and faded coffee.
Too old to carry in a green assortment, of course for blending purposes you can use it, most people will not notice that it is that old once roasted.

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

nepal himalaya

Postby coffeefreak » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:02 am

If we are talking about the Semi Washed Nepal Himalaya coffee from a certain source in Hoorn, I am surprised that you like this old and faded coffee.
Too old to carry in a green assortment, of course for blending purposes you can use it, most people will not notice that it is that old once roasted.

Ivo,

no comments to this, I know what it is and that's enough.

Jan "Coffee Freak" Schuitemaker
Coffee roasted or green, it can be plesant or mean.
coffeefreak

Postby Steve » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:42 am

Perhaps not the best place to leave these comments Ivo, some opinions are best not expressed. I dont think we need negative postings like this.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby stevenzaat » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:29 pm

IMHO this is a very unproffessional answer, Ivo. You are just guessing about the beans we taste and then giving such a hard verdict. I hope we can keep it nice at TMC and just base our opinions on facts and own "experiences "

Best regards,
Steven

stevenzaat

Postby Beanie » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:10 pm

Negative opinions are fine - it's being able to do it without sounding arrogant and malicious that gets your point across.

More importantly, hats off to Jan for his succinct and totally appropriate response.

Marcy
Beanie

Postby ivdp » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:04 am

Point taken.
I will refrain from comments in the future. Truth might sometimes be harsh. Like education.
BTW I only expressed my surprise.

My apologies if I made unfounded comments , it might of course be after all that there are 2 parcels of Nepal Himalaya coffee on offer in Holland. 1 old and 1 fresh.

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping