Kenya/Yrg. blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Kenya/Yrg. blend

Postby michel » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:09 pm

Made this simple blend:

2 parts: Washed Kenya Arabica AA top
1 part : Ethiopia Washed, Mocca, Yrgacheffe, Grade 2

... and wow :!: It's delicious, and I wonder why I've never tried it before. The smell is intense, while the crema is thick almost like 'whipped cream' And best of all: the taste is crisp on the tongue and somehow refreshing (suppose this is due to the 'apple syrup' of the Kenya and the 'citrus' of the Yrg. ). I'ts almost like a good Chablis: citric/little restrained fruit,flowers and in the mouth rich full bodied (syrup like) acids which I have to balance with some sugar (not in the Chablis of course...).

Anyway, it's quite nice and I'm happy with it.
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:37 pm

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Kenya in espresso makes me cry. Its far to delicate for that.

Right deep breaths I've calmed down :) I know other do like kenya this way (no offence to you michel), its just not for me, I cant do it. I love good keyan in a vac pot, I cant change.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby zix » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:50 pm

This is interesting... Michel, did you make an espresso? I see you talk about crema, but still I would like to know for sure.
If I go above 20% Kenya in my espresso blends my tongue curls up and tries to escape through the nose, or possibly down the throat. And if I had blended 2p/1p Kenya/Yirg I wouldn't even feel the taste of the Yirg because of all that Kenya. I seldom use more than 10% of Kenya in any espresso blend. How did you roast them? First crack? Second? If it is espresso, do you use a high or a low temperature?
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby michel » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:35 pm

Yes I made espresso with it! I've roast both coffees into a rolling second crack and the temp used is quite high I suppose (HWP makes quick roasts - about 7 or 8 minutes -).

The best is that today the coffee is even better than it was two days ago... although I cant drink it without sugar (too heavy) but with a little sugar its like a chablis-praline (if such a thing exists...).
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping