What bean/blend for a coffee hater ?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What bean/blend for a coffee hater ?

Postby mikerblade » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:33 am

Ok i know the title may sound a bit harsh but bear with me,

Mrs loves smell of coffee blah blah but for the life of me I cant get her to drink any of it ( funnel and hose while sleeping may be a bit extreme but it has crossed my mind :twisted: ) so basically im looking for some advice on what beans from your experence would be best to try her with. I,ve looked on SM site but to be honest i'm not any better off so far so thought i would ask for some advice to where i should be starting off with.
Im looking for something chocolatly and v sweet to make latte's,cappo's with for her as i tend to stay on the dark side and although she thinks Malabar gold is "pretty" its still way too heavy for her.

any tips from the experts? or should i just give up and stop trying to convert her from the syrup she calls tea

Thanks in advance

Mike
mikerblade

Postby ivdp » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:08 pm

I would try a good washed Ethiopian: Yrgacheffe or Sidamo, it works . . .

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Joey » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:57 pm

Something totally smooooooth and mild.
I can recommend you the Bolivian organic, or a Malawi. But the "softest" coffee I have is our espresso blend #4, "the mild one".
It's so soft and easy going, that it is not more intense then a café latte. My roaster made it specially for me for the customers who "don't really drink coffee" but wanna try one...

I can send you some if you want to.

joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Joey » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:59 pm

PS, let her start with Americanos, or really big Lattes...
Joey

Postby zix » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:13 pm

Another idea would be to serve a really fresh and nice cup of turkish coffee after a good meal, maybe with the dessert. With freshly roasted and ground beans, why not yirg or one of joeys suggestions. Single estate Brasils might also be very good.
Cinnamon and sugar, just a little bit, would work fine with turkish.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Joey » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:36 pm

That's true!!! That's a good idea - turkish
I was so surprised when I drank my first turkish - it's really like a sweet and spicy coffee desert....not sour or bitter at all, just a bit sandy between the teeth, but really good. Speciall with that sweet lukum thingy on the side ;-)
Buy a cheap ibrik and don't forget to cook 3x.....then it's real!
Oh, btw, that reminds me that I found a coffeemaker for turkish coffee on a tirkish website - they didn't answer my email yet - gotta check that now...

joey
Joey

Postby mikerblade » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:55 pm

Joey, your number 4 description pretty much sums up her feelings on coffee, when she bought me a gaggia for christmas I dont think she had any idea what she had started ( catching me with a brand new popper in bits may have given it away somewhat).
I will take a look at the yirg and some of the others as i'm keen to try as many as I can myself as well, only prob i can see with the #4 is getting it to the UK as my german language skills are somewhere between dire and abismal which may explain why I couldnt find it on your site.

thanks for everyones replies, its given me some good starting points

Mike
mikerblade

Postby Beanie » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:35 pm

If she's drinking syrup for her tea, then perhaps start out even more basic. A lot of people are introduced to "coffee" through the caramel mocha latte type drinks nowadays. It's definitely very sweet and barely any coffee... but you can start reducing the amounts of caramel and/or mocha as she progresses. And then make it a decaf on top of that! And with all those sweet additions, the bean/blend type will probably be less of an issue for her.

It's like spicy food, gotta start slowly :-)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Joey » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:36 pm

mikerblade wrote:Joey, your number 4 description pretty much sums up her feelings on coffee....only prob i can see with the #4 is getting it to the UK as my german language skills are somewhere between dire and abismal which may explain why I couldnt find it on your site.
If you write me your adress in a PM I can just send it to you....
:D No german necessary :wink:
joey

Nr4:
http://www.moccaclub.com/modules.php?wa ... 795fb88974
Joey

Postby patrick » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:15 pm

The way i 'teach' people to drink coffee is to start of with Chocolate Cappucino. In this one i use a ristretto and chocolate milk instead of regular milk. For the real newbies ;) i dont use ristretto. Instead i take about 7 grams regular coffee (there are some nice ones mentioned above) and pull it like an ristretto/espresso.
Just my 2 cents ........
Patrick
Mistral - (La Marzocco)
MaCap M4 grinder
patrick

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping