experience with single oringanals

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

experience with single oringanals

Postby Latte-michel » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:47 am

I use alot of single origanals on the machine. and my favourite is the celebes makazar. lately im using a costa rica, let me now what your favourits aren and your experience with other single origanals.

latte-michel
mirage, mini mazzer, dutch latte-art champion 2003,04
Latte-michel

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:17 pm

I love Kenyans (but not in espresso). I also really like brazil Cachoeira which for me is a great single origin in espresso.

The best thing for me is the new experiences that I find, so there is always something new in the grinder. I currently have Jamaican Blue Mountain in my espresso grinder which I'd never have put in espresso before that's outstanding, and a complete surprise how well it works. So I like to try something new as often as I can.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:24 pm

Steve wrote:I love Kenyans (but not in espresso).

Nahh, c'mon Steve, you now you want to really!
Last edited by phil on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:25 pm

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve
Founder Member

Postby AlanP » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:10 pm

Celebes Toraja Kalosi
Costa Rican Tarrazu

These tend to be my regular stock, now and again I'll try something different.
I'm about to roast some 'freebies' I got from Hasbean.(Papua New Guinea Kimel,Mexican Topacio and Indian Plantation A) So my regulars list may get longer.
Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Joey » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:26 am

Phew, where do I start... currently I have 42 single origins, +3 single origins robustas....
My personal favorites: Yemen Mocca Matari, Nicaragua "Cup of Excellence winner", Brasilian Bourbon (from a special garden, can't tell where. If I tell you I have to kill you. It's our little secret.)
I adore my Indian monsooned malabar. My Malawi is nice and mellow, and my Kenia Peaberry has a wondrful brumbleberry arome.... Each day I need another one, depending on my mood, or what I have eaten before....

Some s.o. are "beasts" when it comes to grinding. Like Sumatra Lintong. This one is very porous, dry and I sometimes need 2-3 tries until it's perfect. Hate it when people order it ;-)

Even if my packages are sealed daily, after using them 2-3 days and getting emptier the range on the Mazzer mini changes 2-3 notches.

S.O. have different crema colors. Due to their character, some are richer, some weaker - some are better drunken as ristretto, some are so full and intense, that you get a rich espresso til the last drop....
And some "excuse 4 seconds less, or more then others...

What else about S.O.??
Hmmm, some need deffinitely a hotter water temperature then others.
For example, the Nicaragua and the Kenia are best on my hotter machine and 32-34 seconds.
The Hawaiian is so intense and harsh from that iron filled volcanic soil, that 22 seconds are enough for me!

But these are my personal preferences and the experiences how my customers like the coffee better....

An absolut speciality is my Kopi Tongkonan Toraja. That is the best Indonesian coffee I have ever had. It's fascinating that S.O. are soooooo different as wines are.
The funniest one I have is the Columbian Supremo Medellin. When I grind it and stick my nose near the Mazzer funnel - it smells like chicken soup. But it sure doesn't taste like it later, but the smell.....
And the Columbian excelsor smells like Yams, sweet potatoes. All the columbians have a very veggie like scent when ground....

Nuff said.
joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Beanie » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:08 am

With my limited experience, definitely the Zambia Zambica. Just roasted some Zimbabwe, La Lucie Royale, Washed AA and even only after a couple hours, I sneaked a sniff... and if the smell is anything to go by, I think I'm going to love this one too :)

At Joey's place, without doubt, the Yemen Mocca was also my favourite :) Stevenzaat and I are eagerly awaiting 2 different YM's being shipped from the U.S.

Hmmm... I'm seeing a trend here... Y and Z countries. Okay, does Zaire grow coffee?

So, latte-michel, are you going to do a cupping review of the celebes makazar for us? :)

Cheers,
Marcy
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby MKSwing » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:25 am

Am I the only one having some cuban peaberries ? These geens rock, I found them in a parisian roastery and they are really impessive. The oils are so thick, and the flavors so developped.... mmmmmmh...
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:54 am

I must admit I love peaberrys, but I'm not a fan of them in espresso just me being strange again

steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby AlanP » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:57 am

You know,I hate threads like this.

There I was,quite happy,going along in my own boring way,with my 2 SO's and a couple of blends.And now you lot come along with your Cubans,Malawis,Zambians,Yemens etc.
I've had to start a list again

It's not fair (sob) give a guy a break.
Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Beanie » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:49 pm

Joey... just remembered, I thought Austrialian Skybury Peaberry was your fave? And now, no mention??

steve wrote:...just me being strange again

Steve, you write that quite often. Often enough that perhaps you might change "again" to "still" ? :P

AlanP, yeah, isn't it just awful having to try all these beans and not be able to remain in ignorant bliss? :wink:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby ivdp » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:47 pm

I suppose Celebes Makazar is in fact a Semi Washed Sulawesi Kalosi, Grade 1.

Zaire has quite a bit of coffee, mostly robusta's from very bad to very good washed types without defects.
Further some washed and unwashed arabica's , mainly from Kivu district.

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Joey » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:49 pm

Hi Marcy. Nope, the Australian isinteresting, but too intense for me. Not my taste.
I love my Australian labels, though ;-D He, he...
Nope, from the peaberries my favorite is the Kenian, the one with the brumbleberry aroma and the tickeling acidity on the gum, not much body but the aroma.... yummie.....

But still, all our favorite is the Yemen!!!!

BTW, today I made something great with single origin coffees & chocolate!!!!!!

I made a small glass of thick, smooth Tansania hot chocolate and poured one Tansania shot into it - what a perfect combination. Sweetened with one piece of sugar in the raw - perfect!!!!
A very intense chocolate mocca, no, better a mocca chocolate!!!!!

I made the same tests with coffee and chocolate from Dominican Republic, Santa Domingo - that's the lighter version. The coffee is almost too light to keep up with the dar DR chocolate.

And tomorrow I'll mix Papua New Guinea CHocolate with PNG coffee.......

I love that!!!! The african mocca chololate is really a blast.

And for MArcie: tried something new today - my PNG hot chocolate together with chestnut puree - TO DIE FOR!!!!!!!! I'll call it "Death by Chocolate", but nah....no negative keywords....

We'll make a coffee with oriental spices, too and call it the "Orient Express" I waas thinking of "Orient Espress" or "Orient-Espress-oh!" but I think the simple name is the best....

Woooha, so much going on on the menu....

Next step - Cocktails.
Tried today
1shot espresso
2cl coffee liquor
2cl AMaretto

..cool over ice in shaker
serve in a Martini glass

top with Milkfoam....

NICE!!!!

Good night!!
Joey

serv