Malabar Gold and an introduction by Danny McNulty

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Malabar Gold and an introduction by Danny McNulty

Postby DannyMc » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:15 pm

I'd like to introduce myself to you all. Danny, infamous for his espresso bar and Malabar Gold Espresso Blend :)

Since these forums are publicly viewable I felt the need to join in order to be able to answer some criticisms and comments made about me here, so I could at least balance the somewhat negative views expressed by some.

I don't intend this as a flame. Life is too short. But we are discussing "me", and that's important (to me!) I've never consciously defamed anyone in public. I go about my business as professionally as I can.

I hope to be able to contribute in the forums as time permits, and would like my participation to be of a friendly nature. In order to achieve this I need to answer some of the points written in the past.

The quotes below were made in the forums here, and I will answer each post below.

>How can it be difficult to import and distribute some beans? Yes, it is >time intensive, but really... it takes an afternoon's work at best. Besides >he makes money on it.

Actually, there's a couple of points here. Firstly, I started selling Malabar Gold Blend (MBG) as a favour to the UK roasting community since I am a home roaster myself. I was prompted by Dr. John of Malabar Gold who was impressed with my efforts at serving quality espresso beverages to the coffee challenged of Portsmouth. He subsequently visited the espresso trailer and we had a great afternoon pulling shots, of which he was complimentary. I was using my commercial blend (Trucillo), which he apparently liked, as a "standard" southern Italian blend.

It takes several hours a week to deal with orders, pack and ship them etc.

I do this around the 70-80 hours a week I spend in the espresso bar.

It's not remotely profitable, given the work it involves.

>Neku, like you said he gave some sort of sob story about being busy. I >have to agree with Eward here. Selling MG is a business he's chosen to >get into, not a favour he's doing for some guys. He's making a profit. >Consequently I find his behaviour unacceptable. I promised to buy some >greens so I will, but I'd rather buy more (if I want it) from other sources.

I'm sorry if I let anyone down, but I'm not aware that I have. I answer all email queries received. I had difficulties initially because Dr. John asked me sell MBG here when I was virtually penniless, having just started the espresso business after 18 months of unemployment. Several thousand pounds were involved in the mobile espresso bar, and I really didn't have the finances to buy MBG in the quantity needed to supply any volume of orders.

Malabar Gold is available only in 100lb sacks, which is too much for conventional shippers. Dr. John agreed to split sacks (for a charge) so that they could be delivered by normal post. The alternative is to order by the pallet and have it imported by freight carriers etc.

I agreed to order 66lb at a time (the limit for post) and started to fulfill orders. Given that it takes 5-6 weeks to receive more MBG, at a cost exceeding £250 I was caught out by a couple of large orders that meant I had insufficient beans left whilst waiting for more stock.

Now that the $ rate is more friendly I can arrange to keep a larger stock, so I hope this situation wouldn't arise again.

>Danny just bought some from Dr John - well actually he bought a bag, >or rather a large part of a bag - something to do with a large jump in >shipping costs. Steve, I can get some for you if you like, so Danny >doesn't know it's for you? Or alternatively any of us can put you in >touch. Your call.

I don't care who orders MBG. As you (Steve) already know, Dr John is extremely concerned about the possibility of his blend being reverse engineered, as has happened in the US, where a very public slanging match was staged between a famous green supplier and an alt.coffee regular who was disatisfied that what he was sold as MBG was in fact a different blend being sold under the name. MBG is registered and is Dr. John's main source of income. He (or his lawyers) aggressively pursue any who attempt to interfere with, or who sell other coffees as his blend. He requires non disclosure agreements from all commercial partners and would actually like even end users of his blend to agree not to reverse engineer the blend. I have desisted from this so far, but it may be impossible to supply MBG at some time in the future without this clause being noted.

Regarding shipping costs, this is explained in the previous paragraph.

>I'll get a couple more kilos from Danny and pass them on if you like - no >problem with that. Alternatively you could use your "toomuchcoffee" >email and contact him at "danny@gaggia-espresso.com" - I don't think >he'd rumble you if you didn't mention Hasbean. He might not even care >anyway.

You should have just been honest.

As stated, I don't mind who orders MBG. I only have a problem with large orders, since I once was asked to fulfill an order for 40lbs, which would have exhausted my supply for regulars, of which I have many.

>I received my 3kg today. Mr Danny McNulty must be Scottish: The bags >were exactly 1000g (including the plastic bag)... makes me laugh.

My nationality has nothing to do with it :o

It's to do with postage. I used to supply MBG in kilos, but as postage is charged in kilos I had to be careful that the shipped weight, including packaging, didn't tip the scales at the post office, thereby incurring the next postage rate. This happened a few times, wiping out the small profit I make from sellling MBG.

I now sell MBG by the lb, so 2lbs allows me to safely package them within the 1 kilo postal rate etc. I only charge actual postage, which is based on the PO website, and since postage is paid for in advance I have to ensure that the parcel weighs in at the correct rate.

Anyway, that's enough about Malabar Gold etc.

My main interest is in serving espresso at the highest standards it's (commercially) possible to. I use lever machines, for fun and artistry, and I wouldn't use anything else now as long as theyremain serviceable.

I still roast some, I play with other brewing methods like vacpot.

I rescue old commercial lever machines and grinders and refit them for a working life again.

Any questions, fire away...and thanks for allowing me the opportunity to introduce myself here and to answer your previous comments.
DannyMc

Postby Raf » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:58 am

Danny, those posts you mentioned must be more than a year old! Anyway, you're very welcome you to TMC. I always enjoyed your 'sitting in the field' posts on alt.coffee.

Raf (formerly Neku)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:39 am

Hi Danny!

I have to say I never followed the home roaster threads here as I don't have time for homeroasting anymore...so I never got to read all these mentioned stories... anyway, I read this thread because the name Malabar Gold ringed a bell, and all I want to say is that I have heard only the best about this blend.
Welcome at TMC, and these are very nice members here, I am proud to be in a forum where everybody is friendly with each other and tries not to step on someones toes here. (They are still nice to me even if I talk a lot, but hey, I am a woman, that's what we do, ha, ha ;-D)
...so I am pretty sure those facts will be handled very fair and polite.
I am interested in some views on the espresso bar side of your life.....

Have fun!
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby DannyMc » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:47 am

Hi RAF, Yes, you're quite right, but the nature of the internet (and also google groups as it applies to newsgroups) is that what's written is immortalised in stone. A Google for Malabar Gold and Danny (whilst testing search engines for my site) pulled up the threads, which to a newcomer would appear current if they didn't look properly.

It's quite amusing to search Google groups and see what you wrote a few years ago :) Some subjects, for instance, tamping, have recorded the massive swings individuals have taken wrt tamp pressure etc.

Anyway, I'm new here and I'm probably posting off topic...
DannyMc

Postby DannyMc » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:52 am

Hi Joey,

I've spent many a cold November night in Vienna, sipping a cappuccino (Segafredo) outside the Cathedral in Vienna when I worked there. Did the pony and trap tour as well and listened to the superb buskers :)

I plan to publish the espresso bar stories on my site in the near future.
DannyMc

Postby Beanie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:59 am

Raf wrote:...those posts you mentioned must be more than a year old! Anyway, you're very welcome you to TMC

That's what I was thinking :) I joined TMC a few months back and never read those posts... until they were just brought up :twisted:

All that doesn't matter to me anyway, because...
A week ago, I received my 1st ever order of MGB within 7 days of ordering online. My email requesting further info was promptly answered on the same day. So, if I would want more of this stuff, then I wouldn't hesitate re-ordering again :)

Welcome Danny :) BTW, I initially found your site via the Resources section in TMC :wink:

Cheers,
Marcy
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Beanie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:01 am

Well Danny, there's a new spot in town (Vienna) now. It's across from the Naschmarkt.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby DannyMc » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:06 am

Alas, I don't travel mich now. Thatw as in the good old days when IBM sent me all over the place. Wherever I travel now the espresso bar goes too :)
DannyMc

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:31 am

Hi Danny

As one of the people involved in those posts, I'd like to offer an apology if they caused you any offence. That was never our initial intention and reading back over them I still feel that was not our aim.

Just one point from your post

>I'll get a couple more kilos from Danny and pass them on if you like - no >problem with that. Alternatively you could use your "toomuchcoffee" >email and contact him at "danny@gaggia-espresso.com" - I don't think >he'd rumble you if you didn't mention Hasbean. He might not even care >anyway.

You should have just been honest

There was no dishonesty I didn't order in the end. After speaking with Dr John, I felt uncomfortable dealing with him, as we started for a position of distrust. Probably right with my dishonesty :lol:

But all this aside I for one would like to welcome you to TMC and hope that you actively participate in this great forum. Reading lots of your alt.coffee posts in the past, I know you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share with us, and I would be disappointed if this restricted your involvement in these forums.

Again sorry for any offence :oops:

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby DannyMc » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:58 am

Hi Steve,

Dr John is a stickler to get on with, isn't he :)

My comment re: honesty wasn't meant to be personal - just to deal with people as you find. I'm sure you would rather people addressed any concerns they had with your company directly rather than hearing third hand. This is a problem on any public forum, like alt.coffee for instance. Someone posts about how they received less than stellar service from someone without even trying to address the problem with the supplier first.

Thanks for your comments re: my knowledge - I can assure you any kudos I have is completely misplaced :)
DannyMc

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:05 pm

Hi Danny

I would address you if I had any concerns certainly, but I dont I've no problems with you at all, I understand how hard it can be to get orders out and I know how much work is involved. Just pleased you here

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:37 pm

DannyMc wrote:I plan to publish the espresso bar stories on my site in the near future.

I'll look forward to reading them... I really enjoyed your a.c "Sitting in a field" posts.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:42 pm

I too enjoyed the sitting in a field post thats been quite a while now hasnt it, more more more !!!!
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:45 pm

DannyMc wrote:...the good old days when IBM sent me all over the place.

Ah yes... very nice per diem rates on top of accommodation/car rental for long-term assignments, I recall. I used to work for Footprint Software in Toronto, bought by IBM in '95.

Looking forward to learning a lot from your future contributions here,
M
Beanie

Postby zix » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:06 pm

Welcome, Danny! Happy to see you here. Personally, I am very much looking forward to reading anything and everything you have to say about lever machines. Was hoping you'd join in and now you have!
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping