Malabar Gold and an introduction by Danny McNulty

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Ian » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:18 pm

Hi Danny, welcome to the ‘Euro Zone’! I’ve read some your entertaining ‘sitting in a field’ series - must get round to reading the rest…

I used to live in Southsea from the mid-sixties to the mid-seventies and am trying to figure out where your trailer is sited. I’m guessing Commercial Road/Charlotte Street area?

Cheers

Ian
Ian

Postby DannyMc » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:33 pm

Hi Ian, Yes, I'm in Commercial road (was it pedestrianised when you were here?). I'm outside HMV and Michales Menswear (which was definitely there in your day). I do Southsea common from Easter onwards.
DannyMc

Postby Joey » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:00 pm

I don't know if you've read my pm, if not - I'll ask you some questions about your trailer in the near future, I have plans....... >wink<

joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby DannyMc » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:20 pm

Fire away. There's quite a bit of info on my site, and I plan to make a standard response pack to answer the many emails I get on the subject...
DannyMc

Malabar Gold and an introduction by Danny McNulty

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:29 pm

DannyMc wrote:Hi Ian, Yes, I'm in Commercial road (was it pedestrianised when you were here?). I'm outside HMV and Michales Menswear (which was definitely there in your day). I do Southsea common from Easter onwards.

No, it was still a proper road back then; I used to catch the bus to school in Southsea, it went via The Hard, up Commercial Road and onto the Grammar School in Tangier Road.(I believe it changed to a comprehensive shortly after I left?) Quite a circuitous route so my parents bought me a pushbike which enabled me to take a more direct route past Fratton Park and up the Eastern Road and took half the time.

I don't particularly remember the menswear shop - but used to spend time in the WHSmith which was on a corner on the right hand side (going North), down that side road was the model shop (something like Thwaites?) and opposite that was the practical joke shop (U-need-us) good for stink bombs etc.

Haven't been down for a while but I've been meaning to take the kids to the seaside - maybe when it warms up a bit...
Ian

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun May 29, 2005 2:06 pm

I hadn't been on the forum for a while and I am happy to see DannyMc joined us. He commands a lot of respect for being one of the early starters of the UK coffee scene.

Danny, I think our comments were merely a reflection of the customer's perception. No matter how valid your follow-up comments are, this is how we experienced it. And you are more than welcome to give your point of view and correct us where necessary. I agree that the internet has a lot of 'memory' with Google registering every step we take, and that is regrettable in some ways.

Anyway, I enjoyed the MBG and had already forgotten about my posts a loooooooooooong time ago. If posts were damaging at all Charlie would have been out of business years ago. Good luck with your business!

E.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping