JBM tasting notes

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

JBM tasting notes

Postby Tonka » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:56 am

Well, I roasted my JBM's up 3 days ago on number 2 on the HotTop (so a medium light roast) and here are my tasting notes:

If I didnt know better I would say it was an own brand supermarket 'medium-roast' pre-ground filter coffee.

Sorry. :oops:
Tonka

Re: JBM tasting notes

Postby MKSwing » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:24 pm

Tonka wrote:If I didnt know better I would say it was an own brand supermarket 'medium-roast' pre-ground filter coffee.

Yeah I find it quite difficult to roast too. Not easy to find the right spot to get the silky mouthfeel and everything that makes the JBM a so special and good coffee. And it's too costy to make lots of tests.

You should try the Skyberry, it's easier to roast and has most of the characteristics of the JBM. It costs way less than JBM.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Tonka » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:31 pm

Ok, skyberry....that will be my next bag!
Tonka

Postby stevenzaat » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:08 pm

Tonka,

I think it is better to leave the presets of the Hottop. At first the settings are very unreliable becuase all the voltage systems in every household are really different and therefore you can not easily follow the presettings as stated in the manual, because the machine will eject too early or too late. Furthermore every bean is different and also the ambient temperature, humidity, etc will effect the roast process.

In my honest opinion you can better use setting 7 and just use the eject button when you think the beans are finished. In the descriptions on this site, Coffeegeek, Sweetmarias, you can easily follow the hints (x seconds into 2nd crack, just after 1 st crack, at the edge of 2nd crack). Sweet Marias offers a very good overview of the several roasting types in relation to the stages (1st, crack, 2nd crack, etc.). Here is the linck:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.html

Please do not the time as reference becuase I think the times are related to a hotair roaster. Just listen to the cracks, they can be easily heard in the Hottop. This is the main advantage of the HT above other roasters.
When you trust your ears, you will roast the beans as you desire. I hope this will help and if you disagree, please regards me as a typical Dutch dawdler and regard this post as not send.

If you agree and you have any questions how to roast a certain bean, please ask this forum, becuase there are a lot of connaiseurs and most of the time any question is answered by some member as you have already experienced.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping