I want proof that the cat really sh*ts the beans!

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Joey » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:10 pm

I did it. I bought the Kopi Luwak. One kilo more is off the "limited" market. :P
I thought I have to give it a try to be able to talk about it in truth.
And some people where already asking for it in the shop.

So I saw the 1kg coffee bag with the picture of the cat on it.
I saw the green beans which were wonderfully "washed", smelled a bit different then other greens, but came in totally different sizes.
(first doubt - didn't someone write that this cat is only picking the biggest cherries? Well, how comes the beans are so different in size?)

Anyway, I let my roaster roast the beans and could hardly wait to try my first espresso.
And I have to say - it's the best Indonesian coffee I have ever had.
(I am not much into Indonesians anyway, just the KTT and the PNG, but still...)
Although til then my favorite was the Kopi Tongkonan Toraja - the Kopi Luwak is even better. Very melow, not too spicy, just well balanced, nice body, wonderful flavors.... (I'll try to make some serious cupping soon and use some better vocabularies)

I am very surprised how good that coffee tastes. No acidity, no bitterness, just a wonderful cup of coffee, very rich and mellow.

(But still I have troubles imagining Indonesian workers - and I know the working moral of them...sell one item to a tourist and live from that for the next 2 months in the hammock - Indonesian workers roaming the woods, picking up cat poo in an amount that the forest must be crowded with tiny men with poo bags....)

Anyway - it's a very good coffee. But how do I aproach my customers?
I used to start the story with "It is said that...."
But if one of my dear regulars asks me if it's true, I say:" There are scientific researches, but I haven't seen a picture yet. I am working on finding one. But it surely is one of the best coffees I know..." So that they have to make their own picture.

I am still afraid that if one day it comes out that a bored millionair came up with that story, I am doomed...

Joey
(next week in the off topic section:WAS THE LANDING ON THE MOON FAKE??)
:twisted: :lol:
Attachments
12038_w.jpg
"DEAR HENRY! WHERE WERE YOU???
WE WAITED AND WAITED, BUT FINALLY WE DECIDED THAT...."
12038_w.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 7196 times
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby MKSwing » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:02 pm

joey wrote:(first doubt - didn't someone write that this cat is only picking the biggest cherries? Well, how comes the beans are so different in size?)

Mmmmmmh, I think he just selects the ripest (I hope it's the good translation) fruits, he doesn't care about the size of the bean. Plus I don't know how he could size the bean when he picks the cherry :)

This leads to an interesting question : Does the Kopi Luwak use an infrared vision to select the cherries ?
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Joey » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:11 pm

:lol:

infrared?
why? is it a night-eater? (As I am!...bad habbit, not healthy) :P
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby moccafaux » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:21 pm

The one thing that bothers me with the kopi Luwak is that there are people who have the "crap" job of collecting the beans. And the way this usually is, they are not the ones to profit from the extraordinary price.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby Jo2 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:18 pm

Just for giggles....
Attachments
kopiluwakmovie.gif
kopiluwakmovie.gif (72.47 KiB) Viewed 7149 times
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Postby jumper » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:32 pm

well after that image ill never drink it again :?
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby davidd » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:00 am

Jo2 wrote:Just for giggles....

I didn't know S$$'s did Kopi, but I certainly now realise why their coffee tastes the way it does. :wink:
davidd

Postby BazBean » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:57 pm

Interesting Thread Guys..............

One Question however.............. Who the HELL was the first ever person many, many years ago in a far off land to be sitting near a pile of cat sh*t and think to themselves... :?

"You know i really must roast that and see how smooth and mellow it tastes"

now thats hard core roasting.... :shock:
BazBean

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:15 pm

Smooth and mellow are two words Barry I wouldnt call Kopi Luwak thats for sure. But thats an interesting thought who tried it first and why!
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:23 pm

I knew you wouldn't understand that steve! :P You see the rest of us have to order our beans and there's always the risk of running out... so when push comes to shove, you roast what you've got (can find) and then put in an order to hasbean as quickly as possible! :lol:
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby ivdp » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:58 am

To get things into perspective:

Crop of Kopi Luak is maybe 4000 kgs per year
Worldwide sales of Luak are at least 40.000 kgs per year. (Please do not ask again how this is possible . . .)

Luak is picked on Java, Sulawesi, Sumatra (probably also other islands).
The beast eats arabaica as well as robusta.
Since the crop in Indonesia is 85% robusta, Luak is (probably) also 85% robusta.

Above are facts, no comments . .

Ivo
www.ongebrand.nl
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:12 am

I've read research papers on this and most of what Ivo says seems to tally... however, there is quite a lot of contradictory information floating about as well, which in some respects is surprising, given the fact that this is a rare and prized commodity (you would have thought someone somewhere had done all the math) and then not that surprising at all, so it seems very much a question of buyer beware.
Gotta feel sorry for the cat though... all that robusta (see thread on heartburn) and are they getting a fair wage? ;-) Maybe we should send steve out to make sure (Indiana Leighton)
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:33 pm

To be Honest Ivo this happens with most of the expensive coffees out there (Jamaican Blue, kona etc).

If someone is willing to copy watches and sunglasses designer gear then there's going to be some un scrupulous people in the coffee market trying to sell Kopi Luwak that isn't the real deal. Its foolish to think anything else. So you have to work with importers so you can build up a trust, you have a conscience and you make sure that you can whole heartedly say to customers "this is <blank> because I work closely with my trusted importers and I've cupped it and my experience of this region built up over time tells me its the real deal."

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:45 pm

Without wishing to get myself into trouble (least, no more than usual)... your comments Steve, make me wonder how good the imitations are (and also how they're produced)? Whilst I am very aware of the importance of protecting an appelation (especially in wine, or coffee say) just because a wine may not come from the champagne region, does not necessarily mean that it hasn't been well made following the rigours of a "méthode champenoise." Considering that the "imitators" out there command such a high price, surely they must be drinkable? I'm not trying to recommend dishonest practice in any way, simply interested/amused.
Gouezeri

Postby fiend » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:59 pm

I was thinking the same thing - although perhaps in this case the coffee is being sold for the 'concept' rather than an outstanding cupping...

And if someone at the beginning of the chain is getting a lot of money for the coffee beans, does that mean that these are the ultimate fair trade beans?
Hot air gun roaster, Mazzer Mini E, La Pavoni Europiccola, Aeropress
http://lapavoni.info/
http://otherwiseitwouldbequiet.blogspot.com/
fiend

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping