I want proof that the cat really sh*ts the beans!

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby ivdp » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:36 am

The Luwak story:
It is true!
But . . . luwak production can be estimated at 1.000 kg per year - consumption is at least 10x this amount.
Is the story still true?

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Joey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:42 am

that's why Steve said you have to have a source you can trust...
But again - I want a damn picture or a documentary about it.... ;-D

btw, that's n ot enough:
http://www.ravensbrew.com/NewFiles/kopiluwak.html

;-)
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby ivdp » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:47 am

Luwak is not place or an area
For more information:
http://www.bpe.com/beverages/coffee/kopi_luwak.htm
and also:
The Luwak (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) denizen of the coffee (kopi) plantations of Java, Sumatra, and Sulawesi, eats only the ripest coffee cherries.

Unable to digest the coffee beans the Luwak graciously deposits them on the jungle floor where they are eagerly collected by the locals.

The stomach acids and enzymatic action involved in this unique fermentation process produces the beans for the world’s rarest coffee beverage.

and also

Common Palm Civet
(Paradoxurus hermaphroditus)

Range and Habitat

The common palm civet is found in the temperate and tropical rainforests from Kashmir in the west to the Philippines, from China in the north to the Sundas islands.

Physical Appearance

The common palm civet has coarse, shaggy hair that is usually a greyish color, with black on its feet, ears and muzzle. It has three rows of black markings on its body. The markings on its face resemble a raccoon's. It's tail does not have rings, unlike similar palm civet species. Their body is stocky and long. Its species name comes from the fact that both sexes have scent glands underneath their tail that resemble testicles. They can spray a noxious secretion from this gland.

Diet

The common palm civet is primarily frugivorous, but is omnivorous. It feeds mostly on berries, fleshy fruits, and the fruit of Ficus trees. It is picky about the fruit that it eats, picking only ripe fruit. It will also eat birds, rodents and insects as well as fruit.

Reproduction and Social Behavior

The common palm civet is solitary, nocturnal, and arboreal. They spend the day asleep in a tree hollow. They are territorial. Young are born in tree hollows or in boulder crevices.

Threats

It is pursued by humans, who kil them for damaging orchards and plantations. Its feces are used in coffee made in Indonesia. The name Toddy cat comes from the name for wine that comes from the sap of the palm tree: toddy. The palm civet feeds on this sap.

Subspecies

Not much information is given on subspecies. However, one subspecies, the Mentawai palm civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus lignicolor ), found in the Indonesian island of Sumatra, is listed as Vulnerable by the IUCN.

++

May next time a try with Google first?

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Joey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:57 am

relax ivo!

Nobody doubts the fact that this animal can do it ..... just as you said yourself before - what about the amount?
did you also find this article? I find it quite amusing:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010525.html

(but still, I wouldn't believe anything I find on google either.)

....and still I didn't find a picture of someone digging in the poo on google....
Joey

Postby Joey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:12 pm

I want mine with sugar, milk and a gas mask, please ;-)

what a gadget:
http://www.bestthings.nl/index.php?pet1 ... 0&snabel=2
Joey

Postby moccafaux » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:19 pm

Hand up those who have a pet at home and have at least thought about producing their own kopi luwak!
Greetings from Moccafaux who, among other things, is trying to make it through a "dry socket". Google this term and dont believe what they say, its worse.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby mattmills » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:30 pm

Fantastic work Ivo.

By the way Joey, myt apologies if my rant came across in the wrong way, i do appreciate that the story has a part to play, especially from your end and i support it, it can be a bit frustrating though sifting through the rest of the sh*t (pun intended) to get what you want.

Moccafaux, i was thinking about this whilst in Costa Rica.... trying it with birds or monkeys..... (only joking)
mattmills

Postby Joey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:55 pm

Matt: oh - no worries, it didn't came across the wrong way at all. I totally understood your thoughts...I just always gather momentum when it comes to talking about "how to connect people with a brand" ;-)
Sorry, old occupation-desease...did I ever mention that I have had an advertising agency the last 8 years? I lived from "putting pictures in peoples minds" >lol<

Moccafaux:
I just looked down to my dog, and she looked back at me with this "what!?" on her face.....
I really hope she can't read minds, he, he....

Ivo: Peace! I also appreciate your research. Obviousy I got wrong information about the name "Luwak". A coffee dealer in Italy told me that it's a region. You see, gotta be careful....
Thx
Joey

Postby ivdp » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:52 pm

The funniest thing about Kopi Luwak is it's price of course, who is buying the sh...
More so that the animal roams around in Sumatra, Java, Sulawesi, also in robusta territory!
Do you image someone paying such a price for a robusta? :shock:

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Joey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:11 pm

ivdp wrote:Do you image someone paying such a price for a robusta? :shock:

Ivo

Not really >lol<
Joey

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:58 pm

Again, reliable sources seem hard to come by.
From the research paper I have here, it is "claimed" that annual production is less than 500 pounds at a cost of $600 (canadian) per pound (the source for these figures is not given). The research paper I have, claims that as a result of local conflicts the amount of "authentic" coffee collected has been greatly reduced. Finally, part of the reason this research is being carried out is to provide a reliable means of confirming origin and whether the African civet (Civettictis civetta) which lives in Sub-Saharan Africa might provide a further more productive source.
Anybody who does want to find out more, could check out Donald N Schoenholf's article "Kopi Luwak: The Stercoaceous Coffee of Indonesia" published in Tea and Coffee Trade Journal p. 142-146.
On using animal secretions for food... how about honey?
And finally, as Ivo points out, most of the beans the animal eats are good old Robusta!
Dom
Gouezeri

Postby Joey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:55 pm

gouezeri wrote:On using animal secretions for food... how about honey?

ok, ok, ok.... now we are there.

So please, don't swallow the water when you swim in the lake.
Fish pee in it.

:lol:
Joey

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:57 pm

Can it be roasted this fish wee water? :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:59 pm

if you heat it you might get a nice cup of tea....I guess

fishy!
Joey

Postby MKSwing » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:20 am

ivdp wrote:Do you image someone paying such a price for a robusta? :shock:

Ivo

So what ? They just do a good espresso blend. In one hand, you have the technologic Daterra and on the other, you have the kopi luwak.

Maybe they should put some luwaks in the Daterra territories...
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping