I want proof that the cat really sh*ts the beans!

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:19 pm

fiend wrote:And if someone at the beginning of the chain is getting a lot of money for the coffee beans, does that mean that these are the ultimate fair trade beans?

Anybody asked the cat? :wink:
I'm sure that lots of people by this stuff, purely for the novelty factor. In which case the concept is bound to be much more of a factor than the quality of the cup. I'd be interested to know whether there are many repeat buys, people who actually buy this for the cup... steve? joey?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:18 pm

and without getting into specifics I presume they were not ordering kilos of the stuff? Now whilst it is expensive, I don't think that would put people off if it was really worth it. So, those of you that have tried it, if cost wasn't an issue... would you? In which case is there a (reliable) market for the imitation stuff?
Hmmm
Gouezeri

Postby phil » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:36 pm

Frankly a lot of this stuff goes over the water to the west, where I think the novelty value offsets the price.

I cupped it at the TMC "do" a year ago and was not impressed.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:45 pm

Interesting Phil... kind of expected you to say that and I respect your cupping skills... I remember though, from earlier up the thread, that Joey liked it. Wonder whether she had many people buying it regularly...
To be honest, I find the whole process a little "curious" at best, disturbing at the worst... if anything it probably says more about human nature than taste!
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:25 am

On the cuppiung table its always the worst and the most expensive but its a hook to get people interested in specialty coffee and the only way is up for quality. :)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:09 am

gouezeri wrote::
I'm sure that lots of people by this stuff, purely for the novelty factor. In which case the concept is bound to be much more of a factor than the quality of the cup. I'd be interested to know whether there are many repeat buys, people who actually buy this for the cup... steve? joey?

gouezeri wrote:I'm sure that lots of people by this stuff, purely for the novelty factor. In which case the concept is bound to be much more of a factor than the quality of the cup. I'd be interested to know whether there are many repeat buys, people who actually buy this for the cup... steve? joey?

Of course does the story sell the coffee, but in the meantime I am very sure I can trust my source.
I have to say, when I compare my Luwak which comes from Java with the "normal" harvestet Java - there are worlds inbetween. So it does taste very good (if you like it's aromas and flavors, of course - so let's compare it with truffles - expensive, very good, but not for everybody, and seldome!) - it's smooth, full bodied, has a long lasting aftertaste, a bit nutty and metallic....
I sell the Kopi Luwak in 125gramm bags, most of it is ordered by mail from Germans.
In the shop I would say several times a week someone tries an espresso. The upgrade on the espresso cup is not cheap, but when you buy a Cocktail or a glass of Champaign it would be the same.
Expensive rum would cost much more - and you also get just 2oz....

People try it out of curiousity, but I have some customers who are coming back for it to show it to friends, and also for drinking it themselves - but true - customers don't drink expensive coffee on a regular basis.

I think I have sold my 8th kilo by now.... (from 1kg green beans I only get 5-6 bags of coffee, cause of the weight loss while roasting....

I would say from 20 persons who have drunk it, only one said it was not worth the money, the rest liked it, but most of them of course woudn't drink it every time they are here....

joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby BazBean » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:38 am

Lets be honest the world is full of designer junkies, why would the average coffee buyers be any different? i have lost count of the people who buy espresso only if their friends are there (look at me i all cosmapolitian 8) 8) ) and waffle on about how hardcore they are and when alone only ever ask for a latte` :roll: .........whats all that about i ask ya, but who am i to arrgue with them. what i find strange is that for some the more expensive/ quirky the "better" it must be. i have to remember because i am passionate about my coffee i should not to take it personal when others dont respect it as i do. :** putting my soapbox away now**: :twisted:
BazBean

Postby fiend » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:31 am

Joey - how do you grind it in the shop? Do you set it up each time in a clean grinder? My mean time between grinds is greater than the time it takes to go stale, so I would be interested to know how you do it, given that you mentioned in another thread you were using Mazzer Mini E's
Hot air gun roaster, Mazzer Mini E, La Pavoni Europiccola, Aeropress
http://lapavoni.info/
http://otherwiseitwouldbequiet.blogspot.com/
fiend

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:40 am

Thanks for the info, Joey and Steve. Interesting reading from the "trade" and I appreciate your honest opinions on what is one of the most hyped coffees there is.
D
Gouezeri

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping