Your first greens

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Your first greens

Postby Beanie » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:54 pm

I'm very UP from knowing I'm ordering my Hottop this wk. So, here are the questions:

1. What were your 1st greens?
2. What was the profile/results?

Thx,
M
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Re: Your first greens

Postby MKSwing » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:55 pm

Bean_Believer wrote:1. What were your 1st greens?
2. What was the profile/results?

1. Yerga... Because I knew this coffee very well.

2. Didn't use the hottop at this time. But that just depends on what coffee you'll buy and what brew you like. I always roast for espresso. On the hottop, I select the 6th setting and let it go to the edge of 2nd crack or the end of the roast (about 40 seconds into second).
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby stevenzaat » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:20 pm

1.The Brazil Espresso Perfeito Blend supplied by Hasbean and after that directly the Kenya Peaberry
2. The espresso blend was roasted a little bit too light (City+), but still very good in the cup. Reason for the too light roast was that I read the Hottop manual and used the roast profile for Brazilian beans/espresso as described in the manual. I would like to suggest never use a preset profile but just use the profile 7 and add time/eject button. Furthermore due to the fact that they always look a little bit darker in the machine, I thought the beans were OK. Don't be nervous when you here some crisps, this is not the first or second crack but just the lost chaff in the drum. You will definately hear the first crack and at 85% you will hear the second crack very loud. Only when 1st and 2nd crack go together (as is normal in preblends) it is hard to distinct the second crack. Just wait for the second cracks they will come and souns like breaking a toothpick with a little crisp.
By the way the Kenya Peaberry was roasted excellent (also due to hints of Phil) and I still roast it this way.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby E61 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:57 pm

1) My first real roast (not the practise beans) were some Guatamalean Antigua,a bean I still like very much

2) At that time I was roasting on my Precision and were going for relatively dark roasts so I took them to rolling second.

Today my favorite (for press) is Kenya AA (apart from the expensive San Cristobal), especially the more acid farms taking to the brink of second.

I think I once again would start with a centralamerican bean, I find them very forgiven to roast.

Poul
Faema E61 - 2 group, year 1967, 84 mm. brewhead
Faema E61 Ariete
Isomac Tea
Rossi RR45
La San Marco SM90
HotTop
Heartware Precision
E61

Postby jumper » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:54 pm

1)funny thing my first beans were gualamala antigua 2
2)about a month ago with a heatgun. dark roast and i only let them rest for a day

i would never buy a hottop it would be too easy(also i can roast with a proffesionel roaster also very borin)but to each his/her own
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby simonp » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:27 am

The Brazil Espresso Perfeito Blend for me too.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping