ItalCaffe Beans?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby skirk » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:21 am

hehe! It's certainly something you have to try for yourself rather than be told I think. The roasting might come later (wife permitting). ;)
skirk

Postby Kaarina » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:41 pm

gouezeri wrote:Before anybody else bullies Si :P
I'd like to point out that he's going through what seems to be the traditional process. Until you have compared beans that have been freshly roasted against your average - even gourmet - "supermarket" offerings, it's hard to appreciate just what you've been missing. D

I would like to enquire what brands would go under your definition "supermarket offerings"??? In Finland supermarkets sell only Illy and a local brand Paulig. But in delicatessen shops you can find Danesi, Monteriva, Moak, Monforte and Lavazza in 1 kg beanbags with a best before date in the distant future. These are abviously also mass produce? And what would be the next step on the culinary ladder before starting to modify popcorn machines? (my husband thought it hilarious when I warned him that as this hobby develops I might soon be trying to convert his into a mini roasting station)
cheers,
Kaarina (at the moment grinding Danesi Oro)
LaPavoni Europiccola
MiniMoka grinder
Espressoparts all-steel tamper
Kaarina

Postby badwolf » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:05 am

kaarina

i started out drinking lavazza and then 'graduated' to illy, at around double the cost

i happily made espresso in a mocha pot on the stove and could occasionally be found at starbucks

i was content in my ignorance, believing that this was all that coffee had to offer

then it started to get expensive and increasingly obsessive

if i was in the business of handing out advice i would tell you to continue enjoying coffee exactly as you do now because once you take the next step there will be no going back

do your best with what you have already and be content

continue to enjoy drinking in cafes

be happy

on no account allow yourself to taste the fruit of the tree of knowledge

ignore the snakes who lurk around the TMC garden

use your browser to block access to http://www.hasbean.co.uk/catalog/index.php

these are bad people

don't let them lead you astray

if you ignore this advice don't come crying to me when you find yourself buying a hottop and 5kg of green beans

you have been warned

john
badwolf

Postby simonp » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:59 am

if you ignore this advice don't come crying to me when you find yourself buying a hottop and 5kg of green beans

Ooh, yeah, been there, done that, except I have about 13Kg of beans :roll:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:51 am

hissssssssssssssss ;-)
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby wallisj » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:07 am

The evolutionary process of learning to taste coffee and discover its subtle flavours and feelings has been the most enjoyable part for me .... switching from superauto to semi-auto has proven the biggest leap in quality, feel, taste, satisfaction

Last night i was having to adjust the grind to due to beans aging, weather changes etc .... was really satisfying to pull a good shot after fiddling with it.

I bought 2 bags of beans from Jo2's place last week...had my usual blend plus a bag of their new blend (which they described as more spicy)...first shot i pulled with it i could instantly feel the difference....much brighter and complex than the other blend (which i do actually prefer ... more chocolatey)

but i was excited to find i COULD taste the difference

Espresso ROCKS!!!
wallisj

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping