JBM - finally tried it

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

JBM - finally tried it

Postby simonp » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:47 am

As a treat for Christmas, I finally got round to roasting my Hasbean Jamaican Blue Mountain sample.
I was quite nervous about roasting it and messing it up, but I started nice and slow with a low heat initially. The roast was about 14 minutes and I let it run a little after 1st crack, but before 2nd got near, I reckon around City or medium, I read 430F on the temp probe.

We drank some in the caffetiere on Christmas day, it was only rested 2 days, as I had been ill, and only felt well enough to roast on the Thursday.
Boy is this stuff smooth! I was surprised how strong the body was given the lightish roast and JBM's reputation as a lightish flavour. I tried some more after about 5 days rest and the flavour had got better, quite a nutty flavour, a little floral, a little spice, and a hint of almost pineyness. There were no very distinct varietal characteristics like some coffees, but it has a lovely balanced flavour, very nice!
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby jumper » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:26 am

i got to do some cupping with this stuff too last week and had pretty much the same experience.
good discription of the taste i know your right but could never think of it myself.
just one little thing not quit right, the greens seemed to be a bit oneven normally i would not notice but the reputation of the bean had me expecting perfection.
great coffee allthough i don't think ill stock it :(
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby Beanie » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:19 pm

As a person who had only ever had cappuccinos with a tsp of sugar every time, I decided that my first espresso ever would be the JMB - Wallenford Estate. I had it at Joey's place. My totally uninitiated taste buds could only make my tongue waggle out the words "Wow! I've never tasted anything like this". I was so surprised that I could even finish my cup! When Joey asked what I tasted, blah blah blah, all I could say was floral and velvety on the tongue. Beyond floral, I couldn't come up with anything else... And now that you mention pineyness, I think I could add that too. It's hard to identify the tastes/aromas until someone points it out, and then "bing" the light is on!!! :)

BTW, we don't have a drip machine, and I'll pick up a cafetiere next time I'm out shopping, would making my drinks as an Americano help to enhance other flavours in the cup or would it just be a muted espresso (which sounds logical)?

Thanks for the continued education :)
M
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby tisri » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:34 pm

This is sounding really good guys - I just took delivery of a bag of green JBM so I'm looking forward to my first roast. I've also got a Jamaican work colleague who is flying out there tomorrow, and who promised to bring me "some coffee". Quite what he'll bring is an unknown but I know he'll get it directly from a local grower.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Beanie » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:39 pm

tisri... for the sake of your friend, whatever it is, I hope it's green :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby tisri » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:32 pm

Green perhaps, coffee definitely :) Last time he brought me some back it was a pale brown colour as if it had been dried rather than roasted. The beans were very light in both colour and weight. I tried to roast them in the roaster I had at the time, and it ruined them (the rebadged Imex that ruined just about everything I tried to roast in it).

So I'm looking forward to seeing what comes back, and what the Hottop can do with it.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby zix » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:19 pm

tisri wrote:ast time he brought me some back it was a pale brown colour as if it had been dried rather than roasted. The beans were very light in both colour and weight.
That sounds like Old Java.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Tonka » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:22 pm

Anyone know a supplier of JBM green???
Tonka

Postby stevenzaat » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:11 pm

Tonka,

You can buy it from hasbean: www.hasbean.co.uk
or
Ongebrand: www.ongebrand.nl

They both supply in Europe and both priced at approximately EURO 73 per kilogram.

Don't know where you living, but probably the shipping cost will make the difference in combination with the quantities ordered.

Hope this will help.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby Tonka » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:18 am

Thanks Steve
Tonka

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping