Test Roast Coffee....

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Test Roast Coffee....

Postby josh_robb » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:55 pm

What coffee do people use to test various roasting setups/techniques etc? I don't know that I can bear to burn or destroy any more good coffee while I test various drum configurations etc on the Foreman.

I noticed that Sweet Marias offers "Ugg!" as an example of bad/cheep coffee. (http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.thumbs-down.html). This seems like an ideal candidate for test roasting.

(Happy new year everyone).

j.
josh_robb

Postby AlanP » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:41 pm

I use my prefered coffee

If you use bad/cheap coffee how do you know when you get it right ?
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby mnemonix » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:21 am

there's two stages to getting a roasting setup right - the first is simply, are my bean going to roast, bake or incinerate in this contraption ! anything'll do for that, and i've usually used my least favourite bean for it so i don't care about wasting it - deliberately ordering bad coffee from the states seems a bit much even for this purpose though ! having got that far, i'd agree with you Alan, use something you can relate the flavour to previous roasts so you know if you're getting the fine tuning right.
mnemonix

Postby mnemonix » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:23 am

oh, and a bean that roasts easily and smoothly is obviously going to give a better indication for a start ! brazilian & costa rican are two from my store cupboard I'd use.
mnemonix

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques