I don't believe it

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

I don't believe it

Postby motoman » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:11 pm

Pardon me for the Victor Meldrew quote:

After my expensive overhaul of La Valentine I had an intermittent failure of the micro switch under the water tank, some days I had to jiggle the tank up and down to get it to engage the pump, the last occurrence a week ago looked permanent.
Today I stripped the machine down to get the part number of said switch, then I did a routine check of the fuses. I didn't mention this when I got it back from the service, but some of the external parts were not the originals I had sent with the unit. Some were from a much older or neglected machine but I was too glad to get it back to complain. Wish I had now. Would you believe that the engineer doing the service had blown the main fuse and to fix it had shorted it across the fuse with a length of wire. I will put it together again this week and hope the problem is cured, a new micro switch will be ordered just in case.
I paid well over £400 for this service and am rather pissed at such shoddy workmanship. Anyone here had similar experience?
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: I don't believe it

Postby motoman » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:42 pm

So I put La Valentina together again, switched on (how do you spell Voila +diddly wobble over the a), She's Alive! Now hoping she will stay that way. Being an electric string genius, I can fit a three ping plus the right way up. My question is, how did a badly fused plug cause such a problem (if it did)? Of course I will not know until it does not hang up on me in a couple of days.
Sitting here with my first real coffee for a week (sorry Aeropress users), I knoe others have suffered desert drought or Arctic freezing, but no coffee for a week ....................... I still dread the nightmare sneaking up on me at any breakfast time. Would the power of prayer help? I doubt it, I didn't win the lottery or get the date with Cameron Diaz.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: I don't believe it

Postby motoman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:48 am

Oh Bugger! Gone again. replacement microswitch ordered.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques