Center 301

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Center 301

Postby motoman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:48 pm

My Center 301 Type K is dead, when I used it last it was working perfectly. I put a new battery in and still no life found, I tested the battery with my ZTS Pulse Load tester and it was OK. The recent heavy rain makes my cave quite damp and I think this is the culprit, I opened the 301 and inside it looks very clean so I am at a loss in solving the problem.
Is there an electric string genius who can advise please.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: Center 301

Postby bruceb » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:27 am

I had to Google Center 301 to learn that this is a thermometer. Thanks Google. Have you looked very closely at the battery contacts (that is, the contacts that touch the battery terminals). It only takes a tiny amount of corrosion or dirt to reduce or stop the flow of current.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby motoman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:43 am

Opened it up Bruce, very clean inside, no signs of corrosion or damage. I will take it to a local repair engineer and see what he can do with it.

On the bright side, I did a roast by guesswork and it work out perfectly, yesterday was the 1st anniversary of my first roast on the doorstep. At the same time after exactly a year, my gas cylinder was empty after the roast ended.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:07 am

Sorry to hear your having a problem with the Centre 301, Pete. I am not familiar with the 301 in particular but many such devices have a fuse inside. It would be worth a good look to see if you can find one and if so check it is OK. The other most likely cause of the problem you describe would be a break in the wire from the battery to the PCB. I have found that wires sometimes break under the plastic caps used on 9 volt batteries in particular as force is often needed to remove/ replace the caps.

I hope you soon get it fixed but I expect you will be further honing your guesswork skills to the point that you don’t need such devices at all :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby motoman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:14 am

Thanks for that my unroasted friend, I will report back when I get it back from the workshop.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby AnnaJ » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:39 am

motoman wrote:Thanks for that my unroasted friend, I will report back when I get it back from the workshop.

Did you get it back yet? I'm interested in knowing how it works.
AnnaJ

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques