Roasting Naturals

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Roasting Naturals

Postby cofeeed » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 am

Hi,

I want to discuss Naturals. I love them, but I'm having a difficult relationship roasting them.

From what I understand, they tend to be lower density than washed beans, so you don't hit them with too much heat.
People talk about trying to get a more condensed first crack out of them to make the fruits pop.. Everytime I try to do this, I find the heat spirals during first and I end up taking them too dark, resulting in a cup with muted fruits and a bit of roastiness.
But when I ease off the heat before first crack, the crack seems to roll for a good 1:30 or so. However, I am able to drop them at a lower temp which brings out some of the fruitiness - but I always feel there is something lacking. That 'pow!' of funkiness!

What I want to know is, am I wrong to be trying to get a boisterous/condensed 1st crack as the added energy to do so will make it difficult to control? Or is there a way of keeping some energy going in the build up to 1st crack that will allow me to control the temperature but condense the crack?

Cheers!
8-cup Chemex - 2-cup V60 - Aeropress - Tiamo Hand Grinder - Hario pouring kettle
cofeeed

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques