The hottop : first (scary) adventure

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The hottop : first (scary) adventure

Postby MKSwing » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:20 pm

Hello,
Ok, ok, I know there has been toomuchtalk about it these last months but I think the following it interesting...
The machine arrived today and I couldn't believe my eyes. It is A LOT bigger than I thought. The oscar looks like a toy beside. I had some Kenya fresh roasted but couldn't wait, I read the manual while my wife was preparing the room in the kitchen, we put near an aeration in the wall and I fired this baby up.... And fire is the right word :shock:
I waited for the machine to preheat but didn't remember the drum had to roll from the start and I thought it was normal it wasn't rolling during preheating cycle. So when the machine bipped I inserted my Daterra and waited... The drum stood there, beans all over heating right against the heater elements, I was reading again and again the manual to see if there was a button to push and after 1 minute, fire started !!!! :evil:
Turned off everything, let the little fire die and let the hottop cool. I then emptied the drum, opened and cleaned the chamber and was already thinking about annoying Steve (I'm quite good at it :)). I tried to start the machine chamber opened to see if the motor was stuck or broken but it ran !! So I put everything together and tried again a preheating cycle and then the drum rolled.... Aaaaaah. Looks like the drum axle wasn't very well fitted and was blocking the motor.

So I finally roasted a daterra blend with the setting 4 plus 20 seconds. I now think I could have roasted 20 seconds less but the result is quite fantastic, I'm so happy. And the sound is sooooo quiet compared to the imex, really easy to spot cracks. By the way, it's funny the Daterra 2nd crack was louder than first. I just loved the way it flushed the coffee at then end of the roast, with all this smoke and the smell, so cooool.

So to sum up : If you can spend 700 euros but hesitate because it's quite a lot of money, do not hesitate anymore, it's worth every penny. But remember this machine is BIG and you'll need room. And the most important thing, the drum must always roll.
Attachments
stephane_set.jpg
The monster under the window...
stephane_set.jpg (47.09 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
hottop_daterra.jpg
Daterra blend roasted with setting 4 + 20 seconds
hottop_daterra.jpg (67.57 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby stevenzaat » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:40 am

Congratulations with your first roast. I am also still a big fan of the Hottop. And every roast is an adventure ! So congratulations and hope to hear from you soon all your adventures.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

congrats

Postby pault » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:09 pm

congrats and welcome to the hottop club

be interested to see how they taste - for Espresso I tend to take it up to the beeps on 7 or shortly before/after depending on ambient conditions - that tends to produce only tiny specks of oil after a few days rest which I assumed was about what was required?...

for the Cona I still put it on 7 but manually eject well before then depending on what 1st crack is doing,

Phil - you're the expert - on average, the setting of 4 a bit low for espresso, or am I turning into tsiri without realising it :? ?
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby tisri » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:58 pm

You're not turning into me, Paul. For espresso roast I usually use setting 7 and two or three Pluses as well. Anything up to 22 minutes inside, and when they come out they are already oily.

Personally I roast everything on 7, and eject for myself. For some beans that's before first crack has finished, for others I go for the Spinal Hottop option, that goes up to 8.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby pault » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:29 pm

Phew - lucky escape then!!!!!

:shock:
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques