Why dark?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Why dark?

Postby luizm » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:12 am

Why do some coffees (e.g. from Indonesia) need a darker roast?
luizm

Re: Why dark?

Postby cofeeed » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:26 pm

There's an argument that roasting darker allows more caramelisation of sugars, therefore producing a sweeter cup and giving the coffee more body.
Indonesian coffees aren't generally roasted for their acidity and brightness, their qualities lie in their sweetness and mouthfeel. So stretching out the roast allows you to highlight this.

Take a read of this. It'll give you a nice overview: https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/ ... -sweetness

Hail Sweet Maria's

Ed
8-cup Chemex - 2-cup V60 - Aeropress - Tiamo Hand Grinder - Hario pouring kettle
cofeeed

Re: Why dark?

Postby RolandGlew » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:47 am

I agree on that - but there's also some issues that probably stem from processing and growing conditions that effect at what point a roast flavour will become evident. As an example, typically I find a Costa Rican coffee taken in to second crack (but before oils develop) may still taste a bit roasty. When I used to roast Monsoon Malabar, you had to take it into visible oils on the bean, and it still didn't have any roasty flavour.

I'm honestly not sure why this is - it could be that certain beans have to be roasted further before they break down cell structure enough to provide the precursor hydrocarbons that will form roast flavours. Equally, it could be that those roast flavours are being created, but that other flavours in some beans mask the roast flavours. Would love to know more about this :)
3 Cup Chemex, Hario Syphon, French Press, 5 Ibrik, Stove Top/Moka Pot, Pour Over, Hario V60, Kalita Wave, Kantans, AeroPress, Vario Grinder, Porlex hand grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder Missing Handle :P
RolandGlew

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques