Chuky is here

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Re: Chuky is here

Postby icke » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks for the picture, that helps me understanding the new layout quite a bit indeed. i didn't see the damper that closes off the airflow from the top funnel in the other pictures and answers my question re airflow direction :)

So with that setup, how is your process for dropping the beans at the end of the roast? Do you take the whole contraption apart, place the cooling fan/sieve assembly under the exist door or do you just hold the sieve in place and open the door until all beans have spilled out?

thanks a lot,
olaf
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby bruceb » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Gouezeri wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:Good to see you Icke :)

Seconded.

Thirded. 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby motoman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:51 pm

icke wrote:Thanks for the picture, that helps me understanding the new layout quite a bit indeed. i didn't see the damper that closes off the airflow from the top funnel in the other pictures and answers my question re airflow direction :)

So with that setup, how is your process for dropping the beans at the end of the roast? Do you take the whole contraption apart, place the cooling fan/sieve assembly under the exist door or do you just hold the sieve in place and open the door until all beans have spilled out?

thanks a lot,
olaf

Got it in one Olaf, I keep the second fan close to the exit, hold the sieve under the exit, pop it on the fan and switch it on. Beans are cold in less that two minutes.

I roasted two batches of 330 grams, so it will be a while before I roast again. Next time it will be in the cave. There was very little smoke so I will just keep the garden door open for ventilation.
I could set up a business roasting in houses for sale, the smell will sell them fast.
Pete
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby icke » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:16 pm

motoman wrote:There was very little smoke so I will just keep the garden door open for ventilation.

i used to roast in our kitchen downstairs for about 2+ years. after that the walls were covered with a greasy layer of brownish dust...
i have since moved the roaster to the shed and ventilate through a heat resistant tube straight to the outside. i usually roast two 430g batches per session and that does create quite a bit of smoke.

i'll write to mr. li :)
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby icke » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:18 pm

bruceb wrote:
Gouezeri wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:Good to see you Icke :)

Seconded.

Thirded. 8)

(nested) merci beaucoup gentlemen :)
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Kenavo.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby motoman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:37 pm

To Olaf and or Dom: there is a sliding damper at the motor end of the Huky, It either covers or reveals the holes in the drum. Unsure of the when, why and just how to use it I left it pushed in. Can you enlighten me please. :?:
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby bruceb » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Gouezeri wrote:Kenavo.

From Au creux de ma terre
or
are you leaving again??? :cry:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby icke » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:43 am

motoman wrote:To Olaf and or Dom: there is a sliding damper at the motor end of the Huky, It either covers or reveals the holes in the drum. Unsure of the when, why and just how to use it I left it pushed in. Can you enlighten me please. :?:

sorry for the late response - i don't get the notifications... :(

i use a solid drum and have hence removed the now useless damper. i think i'd use it when flame and fan are on high to avoid to much direct flame potentially burning the beans?
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby motoman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:12 am

Thanks Olaf, I thought that might be its purpose. With no real operating manual as a guide, it is safer to ask questions than just carry on regardless.

I could never have advances to this level of roasting without the help of you orrible lot.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby motoman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:28 pm

I have just completed my second roast with Chuky, trying to get the temperature back up after tipping the beans in at 220C and dropping to 138C, I may have roasted too fast, first crack came within 5 minutes. I cut down the heat and dumped on second crack, the roast looks fine, nice even colour throughout so I will wait until tomorrow to check.

Gas roasting is a different league to what I am used to but practice, practice, practice and one day I may get it right. If I ever find a God I can believe in I will........... Hang on, there is always Dom.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby bruceb » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:58 am

Four-year Dom? I dunno. Congratulations on the roast. Five minutes seems very fast, but I have very little experience with small gas roasters. I push for 14 minutes to first crack, then 1st crack ends about 90 seconds to 2 minutes later and second crack begins very quickly. For light roasts I dump before second crack begins, for medium just into second crack and for a darker roast just into rolling second crack. I can't really describe the different smells, but they are more important than the times in my experience. Good luck on the roasts and please keep reporting on your experience. Regardless of which roaster we are using sharing our experience will help us all improve our technique.
bruceb

Postby icke » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:59 pm

5 minutes to 1st is extremely fast. also, the turning point temperature seems very high.
during the summer months i usually load the beans at a slightly lower temperature than during the colder months. but i guess it's a bit warmer down here where I live than up in the good old Angleterre...

i have attached a roast log from a recent roast which turned out to be absolutely delicious, so it can't have been all that wrong...
i keep quite a bit of airflow on during the entire roast, starting it around the turning point. The red line (ET) reacts very quickly to changes in airflow.
1st crack was unusually fast here too, it often occurs at around 8:30 - 9:30 and the drop in ET is at that point a reflection of actual heat input. the gas comes all the way down, just to keep the burner on and usually stays down there until i drop the beans.

Cachoeira_201507.png
Cachoeira_201507.png (46.56 KiB) Viewed 28788 times

i still don't get notifications. can any of the mods tell if that is perhaps disabled on the site?
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby bruceb » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi Olaf,
No I don't get any notifications either. I will check on that. Thanks for pointing it out.
Cheers,
Bruce
bruceb

Postby motoman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:40 am

Roast No; 3 Getting better, kept the heat up high at first to get the drum to the right temperature, quick drop as the beans went in but soon climbed up again. I reduced the heat and got first crack around 8 minutes. I dumped as second crack started as the beans were a lovely dark colour and just beginning to show a sheen of oil.

I tried them this morning, OK, but they need another day at least.

As I get used to using Chuky it gets easier, (I wish those pigeons on the roof opposite would stop shagging,) the gas burner is very good, some users want a more powerful burner, that would require even more concentration finding the optimum time and temp combination. I can set the roast to a time that I choose without a panic dump as they turn black.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques