So who is roasting and on what?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Re: So who is roasting and on what?

Postby Tongle » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Also welcome Paul.

Just roasted the Hasbean Ethiopian Washed Kurume and tried to get a good solid medium roast as suggested on the pack.

So using the Behomr 1600 went for the P3 option which apparently introduces the heat a little slower. Seemed to go well but had to add 30sec to get to 1C. Continued to pop for a few seconds during cooling and certainly looks quite light.

Made a filter brew and it is very smooth and light. Very subtle fruity, cherry taste with not a lot of acid. It is almost like a natural but perhaps because of how light the roast is. Very nice!
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Postby Tongle » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Just tried roasting Hasbean Tanzanian Burka Natural Bourbon.
Notes suggested going into first pops of second crack.
This produced quite a dark roast which is quite nice to drink in milk as the smoke comes through well.
Unfortunately most of the suggested subtelties of currants and sultanas were lost in the smoke for me.
Going to try a lighter roast next time so watch this space.
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Postby double_shot » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:13 pm

Still roasting here but not as often as I would like - using a Behmor 1600.
double_shot

Postby Joris » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:07 pm

Recently started roasting again.... on my trustworthy homebuilt beast.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby bruceb » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:04 am

Hi Joris! Nice to see you around again.
I continue to roast a kilo every two weeks. I still have not repaired the Maggiolino and am using the old HotTop under the vent hood in the kitchen. I'm satisfied with the roasts and it's nice to be able to roast while I'm cooking or washing dishes. I do miss GreanBean's Roastlogger, however. I can't use it with the HotTop because it is the old model that does not display the temperature continuously. I will fix the Maggio soon and get back to that when I do.
I have been roasting mostly Brazilian, Costa Rican, and Yirgacheffe since I have had a good stash of those, but it is coming to an end and I had to order more. I found an outfit in Frankfurt that has reasonable prices and good coffee and ordered 5 kg each of a Colombian, Honduran and Eth. Sidamo. I've had the Colombian from them before and it was very good. Shipping is very inexpensive, of course. It's the shipping that keeps me from ordering from HasBean. It's almost as expensive as the coffee.
After the heating element went out out on the Maggio and before I remembered the HotTop I bought some beans locally, which I disposed of after making one or two shots. They were obviously ancient and rancid tasting. I then started ordering from Lukas at Sonntagmorgen Kaffee, but after a couple of months it seemed too expensive, although the coffee was excellent. If I didn't have a storage room full of roasters I would have continued drinking Lukas' coffee.
After 15 years I still enjoy roasting my own coffee. I like the smell, love the sound and I like roasting the way I enjoy my coffee. If I want to go very dark, I can, if I want to play with different blends, I can and I never get tired of the ritual. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques