So who is roasting and on what?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Re: So who is roasting and on what?

Postby motoman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:44 pm

I am still roasting with the Behmor, it is getting a bit old and cranky. Its latest trick is to start the drum rotating as soon as I switch on, strangely it does stop at the end of a roast. Of course there is my new Huky 500T that will be arriving tomorrow, as I did with my Genie when the Behmor arrived, I am going to offer the Behmor free to any member who wants to start to learn roasting. It still has a couple of years of service left in it, all I ask is that whoever gets it, passes it on when they upgrade. Oh! and come and collect when I can use the new addition to get a decent espresso roast from Chuky.

I will post the offer in the Members lounge when it is available.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:08 pm

I expect that will prompt Steve to give us at least one photo of his favourite roaster :wink:

Ohh eeerrr hmmmm will sort tomorrow I promise
Steve
Founder Member

Postby bruceb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:00 pm

In July of 2009 I bought a used Maggiolino from one of the other earlyTMC members from the Netherlands. It is a commercial sample roaster with electric heater and a capacity of up to 500g and was made by Coffeetech in Israel. In the last 6 years I have roasted more than 600 batches, usually 350g with it and am quite satisfied with the results. It is a completely manual unit with a simple electronic thermostat that is prone to hysteresis so that there are huge swings of temperature when it is idling. This requires a learning period for the human roaster. It took me about 30 roasts to get the hang of it and I am still finding ways to improve reproducibility. Of enormous help in this learning effort is the OCR RoastLogger software from our very own GreenBean, together with a webcam mounted over the thermostat display (seen at the top of the second picture below).
We drink espresso and espresso-based milk drinks almost exclusively so I tend to roast a bit darker, usually to rolling second crack (Full City +), however, as I mentioned elsewhere I usually temper this dark roast with a lighter roast of the same beans in a "single-origin blend." For normal blends I almost never roast mixtures of beans, but blend them after roasting for the obvious reason that some beans just do not do well under the same roasting conditions as others.
I have not had any repairs on the Maggiolino yet, have only completely disassembled and cleaned it thoroughly once. It is built like the proverbial battleship of cold-rolled and stainless steel. I would recommend this roaster for anyone seriously interested in roasting, however they are very rare and the likelihood of finding one is very small. They are no longer available from the manufacturer.
Attachments
Maggio_06a.jpg
The basic roasting setup with laptop to monitor roast profile.
Maggio_06a.jpg (20.28 KiB) Viewed 15346 times
Maggio_04a.jpg
Coffeetech Maggiolino 1 lb. rotary drum roaster with axial blower powered cyclone chaff collector.
Maggio_04a.jpg (25.94 KiB) Viewed 15346 times
Maggio_03a.jpg
Logitech webcam (black unit with cable - top) "watching" Omicon digital temperature controller as input for RoastLogger OCR software.
Maggio_03a.jpg (36.76 KiB) Viewed 15346 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:02 pm

Bruce thats an awesome post !! Nice work (as always)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:09 pm

Really good read Bruce. I hadn't realised they were no longer made.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:38 am

Steve wrote:Bruce thats an awesome post !! Nice work (as always)

+1
And a nice roaster as well 8)

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby motoman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:53 am

Amazing machine Bruce, built like an Israeli tank and styled by a genius. I love it.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 am

So lets go on a journey together, we will start with the first roaster I ever had thats in reception my trusty Ambex 2kg machine

IMG_3234.JPG
IMG_3234.JPG (104.67 KiB) Viewed 15309 times

This was retired off a few years ago, but hold so many memories of setting fire to the roof of my garage at home.

then we have the replacement Ambex 2kg

IMG_3238.JPG
IMG_3238.JPG (107.5 KiB) Viewed 15309 times

Used a lot for the smaller roast to order COE type coffees we might only sell a kg a day

Then we have a Probatone 12

IMG_3237.JPG
IMG_3237.JPG (121.57 KiB) Viewed 15309 times

Then we have a Probat 25L

IMG_3236.JPG
IMG_3236.JPG (130.82 KiB) Viewed 15309 times

Then we have Eric the red my 1950's 60kg probat

IMG_3235.JPG
IMG_3235.JPG (148.55 KiB) Viewed 15309 times

And our collection of sample roasters a 1 barrel probat electric roaster that cost me £100 of ebay

IMG_3240.JPG
IMG_3240.JPG (104.29 KiB) Viewed 15309 times

2 x 2 barrel roasters from Brazil

IMG_3241.JPG
IMG_3241.JPG (116.73 KiB) Viewed 15309 times

and our 3 barrel Probat that cost me £900

IMG_3239.JPG
IMG_3239.JPG (99.32 KiB) Viewed 15309 times

Phew !!
Steve
Founder Member

Postby bruceb » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:46 am

Wow! What a line-up! I remember well roasting the cupping samples on that double barrel sample roaster. Seeing all of that beautiful machinery makes me wonder whether it isn't getting to be time for another visit! 8) .
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:11 am

So when are you going to get a proper roaster then Steve? :wink:

Seriously impressive collection, I would think there are few, if any, with a larger choice of machinery :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:25 am

CakeBoy wrote:So when are you going to get a proper roaster then Steve? :wink:

Seriously impressive collection, I would think there are few, if any, with a larger choice of machinery :)

Hmmm, I didn't see one popcorn popper there, did you? :?
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:36 pm

bruceb wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:So when are you going to get a proper roaster then Steve? :wink:

Hmmm, I didn't see one popcorn popper there, did you? :?

No, that is disappointing :( I'm drooling over all those serious toys though, especially Eric the Red 8) If it would fit on my hob and under my cooker hood I would seriously consider upgrading :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby RolandGlew » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:36 pm

Nice to hear about people's kit - love the photos Jason & Bruce!

Just to clarify - Steve doesn't roast on any of those any more - he's too busy opening church fetes and the like :wink:

He also forgot to mention there's a couple of Behmors that are stored too - I took one of them home when I was learning to roast :)
3 Cup Chemex, Hario Syphon, French Press, 5 Ibrik, Stove Top/Moka Pot, Pour Over, Hario V60, Kalita Wave, Kantans, AeroPress, Vario Grinder, Porlex hand grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder Missing Handle :P
RolandGlew

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:48 pm

RolandGlew wrote:Nice to hear about people's kit - love the photos Jason & Bruce!

Just to clarify - Steve doesn't roast on any of those any more - he's too busy opening church fetes and the like :wink:

He also forgot to mention there's a couple of Behmors that are stored too - I took one of them home when I was learning to roast :)

Well it must be hard being an international media star and ambassador for the colour red! Besides, less roastery fires :wink: :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:37 pm

He does have a point, I dont get to roast as much as I would like :(
Steve
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques