Pan Roasting?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Pan Roasting?

Postby Tongle » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:55 pm

I found a few videos on Youtube of people roasting greens in a frying pan.
Also read in Steve's interview that he set off alarms during his time as a prison officer when roasting beans, so clearly it is possible but perhaps a bit tricky?

So has anyone tried this and what advice do you have (the videos seemed to produce rather uneven results).
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Re: Pan Roasting?

Postby grib » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:28 pm

My advice is don't. The first coffee I ever roasted was in the pan, it's almost impossible to get an even roast but worse, that lovely roasted coffee smell, it permeates everything in the house. My first batch went way too dark and when the oils start to smoke the smell is really strong, it took weeks to air the house properly. If you really want to give it a go, perhaps try it on a bbq with a cast iron pan?
Andrew "Grib" Gribben
Former Freelance Barista
The Griblog
grib

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:47 pm

Totally agree. Same goes for baking trays in the oven. Major smoke and if it's a fan controlled oven, chaff city too!
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:31 am

Ignore them both, they just hate good fun (and lots of smoke)

You may not want to drink it :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Tongle » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:23 am

Well I do believe kind sirs that drinking it is kind of the point is it not?
It certainly sounds like fun, but it seems that the end result may be unpredictable at best. In light of the fact that much of the discussion here is around precision, measures and achieving consistency I think I should probably stick with trying to get a good brew using beans roasted by someone who knows what they are doing.

(However, I'm always up for a bit of fun............. :wink: )
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Tongle

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:01 am

Oh it's fun alright! You are spot on though when you say it's about consistency. In the case of a pan or roasting tray in the oven, the beans within the roast are inconsistent and unevenly roasted. Having said that, I once watched Espressomattic of these boards pull off a pretty decent roast stovetop using a Whirlypop, though he was winding the handle like a mad thing for what seemed like ages, and we were all covered with chaff when he emptied it! Happy days :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:34 pm

It's much more rewarding to go to ebay and find a good, used hot-air roaster such as an i-roast or one of its predecessors. I paid the equivalent of about 20 GBP for mine many years ago and immediately understood why one would want to roast at home. The coffee (in tiny batches) was great and I had fun changing the parameters, not worrying much if I ruined 80g of beans or not. You probably won't be satisfied with it for long as the batches really are small, but it's a much more satisfying way of testing the waters and you won't upset those around you (although it's still best to do it under a good vent hood or outdoors). Good luck and let us know how you get along, whatever you decide to do. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Tongle » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks for the advice.
If I bought any more coffee equipment I'd need a kitchen extension, but I am very, very tempted if you can get them for under £50.

Roasting small amounts sounds like a good plan. Due to health issues I really can't have more than one cup a day but that is why it is important for me to make it a damn good one!

So the search for a roaster is now on........... :D
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Tongle

Postby zix » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:50 pm

Heeeey all chicken roasters, don't you have exhaust fans above your stoves? It's the single most useful thing to have when roasting in the kitchen, whatever the roast method ;) Never done Whirley-Pop, but I have done this, which is basically the same thing, only it is an actual coffee roaster:
We used it outside, on a bbq grill, since the lovely old iron stove in the summer house hadn't got the proper hole in it for the roaster - yet. I don't consider smoke a problem at the weights you are able to roast in a whirley-pop or an old roaster like this, but chaff, I must admit, could become a nuisance. Better to put the coffee in the oven in that case (and roast below 300g, and if possible, don't use fan heat. Gas oven is fine though). Just open the window and let the chaff blow its way wherever. If you are blessed with a garden, you know what to do. It's natural stuff, let it return to nature :)

P.S. If you use a half-size oven tray and stop before rolling second smoke-wize you should be on the safe side. Please use the exhaust fan ;)
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques