Behmor Blues

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Behmor Blues

Postby motoman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:19 am

My trusty Behmor is showing signs of age, as soon as I switch it on the drum starts to rotate. Probably a simple cure is available but as a self confessed electric string novice I have no idea what to do next. I tried talking, cajoling and even begging, but the little bugger just ignores me and carries on like Old Father Thames and just keeps rolling along.

Last night I did a roast, I usually do this in the cave (My house is very old) where I have an extension lead. Here I can see alarm bells ringing on Behmor owners heads, the instructions say 'never use an extension lead'. True but for the past three years I have been happy with the results, now I am not very happy. This time I roasted two 8oz batches in the kitchen using a fixed electrical socket. I am so used to the machine that I set it up as usual and carried on my routine of wandering about the house and messing around on the computer. I was the sudden difficulty of seeing that first alerted me followed by the smell of the smoke billowing through the room. So that was the first batch, blackened, weightless and very very oily. In the bin they go and start again, this time keep a constant watch and wait for first crack then hit the cooling button. It never came, I blinked and the beans were black again. I have never lost a roast before so losing two in a row was scary. My third roast was drastically reduced and I have an acceptable looking roast, but this morning the beans look tired and have no noticeable aroma. I will do another batch later today back in the cave and hope it was just a freaky change of wattage that caused the disaster. I now cannot wait until my new Huky 500T arrives and I can start afresh, then of course I will slide back into my usual idle forgetful self and ruin more beans. However; I will know who to blame this time.

I recently had a power problem in the house and the electrician pointed out that whoever had wired the house (Long before I was here) had used 30amp gear on a domestic lighting and ring circuit, and that some of my sockets would be better off in an execution chamber. He fitted a new fuse box with safety trips but advised a complete rewire to pass the safety codes.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: Behmor Blues

Postby GreenBean » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:44 pm

I guess this is the Behmor paying you back for forsaking it for your new hussy or is that Huky? I hope it arrives soon, I expect you will then forget all about your Behmor :|

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Just for info (if not a little off topic) but the behmor's will be coming back I'm promised before Christmas, and the upgraded one with iphone control in the new year.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby GreenBean » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Steve wrote:Just for info (if not a little off topic) but the behmor's will be coming back I'm promised before Christmas, and the upgraded one with iphone control in the new year.

It is great to see the options available for home roasters improving all the time and even better to see you posting around here again, Steve 8)

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Yes hopefully will be around a bit more :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:06 pm

That's good news Steve. How is the newer Behmor holding up as a roasting method compared with the now absurdly expensive Hottop?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:33 pm

I've always preferred the Behmor to the hottop, just because of the size it can roast. Theres some plans to upgrade in the new year to include digital control. We will also be able to sell upgrade kits to the normal behmors.

Ugly bug though still
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques