Roast Logger and heatgun

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Roast Logger and heatgun

Postby kirjoitti » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:32 pm

Hi and thank you Greenbean for a very fine and usefull program. I use it to log and monitor my breadmashine heatgun roaster. I use a Skil 8004 hg that has adjustable heat and airflow. I wonder is there any way to log the chances
I make like air 3 to 5 and heat 200 to 220 under the graph?
kirjoitti

Re: Roast Logger and heatgun

Postby GreenBean » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:46 am

kirjoitti wrote:Hi and thank you Greenbean for a very fine and usefull program. I use it to log and monitor my breadmashine heatgun roaster. I use a Skil 8004 hg that has adjustable heat and airflow. I wonder is there any way to log the chances
I make like air 3 to 5 and heat 200 to 220 under the graph?

Hi kirjoitti, welcome to TMC :D

Thank you for your kind words regarding RoastLogger. The answer to your question depends on the input device you are using to interface your thermocouples to RoastLogger.

The RoastLogger Controller automatically logs and charts changes to heater and fan settings during a roast. This is intended for users who are using the Controller to control their heater and fan (via suitable hardware) but it can be used manually by anyone using the Controller for input. That is if you manually change the heater or airflow setting on your heat gun you can move the heater or fan slider to the relevant setting and the change will be logged and charted.

The Controller can communicate with an Arduino, Arduino+TC4 or TC4C provided they are loaded with a compatible sketch and will then provide the above functionality.

If you are using other devices for temperature input such as digital multimeters then these are not interfaced to RoastLogger via the Controller so the above functionality is not available.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby kirjoitti » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:05 pm

I am using a Victor 86b. I was hoping to use computer keyboard to mark temperature and airflow, maybe next version of RoastLogger :wink:
kirjoitti

Postby GreenBean » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:00 pm

kirjoitti wrote:I am using a Victor 86b. I was hoping to use computer keyboard to mark temperature and airflow, maybe next version of RoastLogger :wink:

Probably not in the next version :wink: but I will give this some thought to see if I can think of a way to implement it without complicating things for the majority of users who would not use this.

You can, of course, use the Alarms tab to set alarms based on bean temperature or time after first crack to remind you to change heater and airflow settings. This does, however, require planning ahead of time rather than recording what you actually do in the roast. I believe that planning ahead, following the plan, cupping the results and modifying the plan for the next roast provides the best way to improve your roasts but I understand that the repeatability available with your setup may preclude this approach.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Welcome kirjoitti :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques