Ikawa Sample Roaster

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Ikawa Sample Roaster

Postby jameso » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:24 am

Someone recently drew my attention to http://www.ikawacoffee.com/professional - looks like a good idea. I like the idea of small roasting volume + full profile control. The real question is how it works in terms of bean agitation / heat / cool-down / smoke filtering etc.

Anyone come across it before / used one / know the guys behind it?

I'm not particularly looking for a new roaster, as I don't use the one I have enough. It made me curious, that's all.
HotTop
Iberital MC2, modded Dualit grinder, Zassenhaus
Gaggia Classic + PID, 4 moka pots, 5 press pots, 1 Aeropress - and a Kalita Uno!

My other hobbies:

Writing free fractal generation software
jameso

Postby GreenBean » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:59 pm

I have seen a number of posts and a few newspaper articles about this roaster over the last few years. If I remember correctly the Pro version was rumoured to have a price tag in excess of £2000 :shock: and there was an intention to produce a home version for about £500. I have not paid much attention as I do not think a home roaster limited to 50 g (roasted) batch size is an attractive proposition and certainly not at those prices.

So far I have not seen any hands on review of the roaster or comment on the coffee it produces.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby jameso » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:39 pm

A compact sample roaster for professional use could have its uses - especially if profiles are controllable / repeatable etc. But for £2k?..

For home use, £500 is steep. 50g would be a daily batch for many. Assuming there would be chaff collectors to clear and so on, it's not something you'd do daily while you eat your cornflakes with no overhead. I could imagine a use for a home roaster that can roast as little as 50g is required. But not for one that cannot roast any more even if you wanted to.
HotTop
Iberital MC2, modded Dualit grinder, Zassenhaus
Gaggia Classic + PID, 4 moka pots, 5 press pots, 1 Aeropress - and a Kalita Uno!

My other hobbies:

Writing free fractal generation software
jameso

Postby bruceb » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:36 pm

I don't know why anyone would want to roast daily. I roast every 10-14 days and my coffee is fresh for the period. I let it rest the first three days anyway. I paid about €2k for my 500g CoffeeTech Maggiolino used and have roasted 3 batches every two weeks for the last 4 years (always using GBs RoastLogger, btw :-) ) and I never cease to be delighted with the results.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques