Helppp, how to connect roaster to a computer ???!

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Helppp, how to connect roaster to a computer ???!

Postby Minhkey » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:01 pm

And i'm using 60kg roaster. (used Gas, and only 1 meter temperature)
How to connect pc? purchase and installation of equipment needed?
Thanks so much !

ngongmail at yahoo.com

Post edited to remove spamable e-mail address. Please replace "at" accordingly to e-mail - Mod.
Minhkey

RE: Helppp, how to connect roaster to a computer ???!

Postby bruceb » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:26 pm

I think you will need to tell us more about what you want the computer to do. Do you just want to monitor the roast or do you want some kind of computer control of the roast? Where is the present measuring probe located? In the bean mass or above it?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Helppp, how to connect roaster to a computer ???!

Postby Minhkey » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:12 pm

thank you very much for your help.
First I just want to monitor and record chart roasted.
measuring probe in the bean mass!
I should measure the probe where it best?! and how many is enough.
and
Is it easy to set up computer systems to control gas?!

bruceb wrote:Image

I think you will need to tell us more about what you want the computer to do. Do you just want to monitor the roast or do you want some kind of computer control of the roast? Where is the present measuring probe located? In the bean mass or above it?
Minhkey

RE: Re: RE: Helppp, how to connect roaster to a computer ???

Postby bruceb » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:34 pm

The easiest way to monitor the temperature with the computer is to use an inexpensive webcam and the Roast Logger software from TMC user GreanBean. You can read the thread here. The software is free can can be downloaded from our download site. The advantage of this is that you do not need to do any electrical/electronic changes to the roaster and the only thing you will have to buy is the webcam. The software runs on the Java runtime that is also free.
Measuring the temperature in the bean mass is the best place if you only have one probe. The Roast Logger software lets you monitor and record every roast you make. If you have more questions or problems let us know here. Good luck! :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi Minhkey, welcome to TMC.:D As Bruce has said you can use the RoastLogger to read your roasters display directly. You would be surprised how many commercial roasters do just this to avoid installing thermocouples.

Real time logging and charting of temperature profiles including comparing the progress of the current roast against a chosen profile is relatively easy to achieve. The main items required to achieve this are as follows:

1. A thermocouple reading bean temperature. I understand from your post that you already have this.
2. Optional but highly recommended would be an additional thermocouple reading the environment temperature.
3. A device that can read the thermocouples and communicate the readings to a computer
4. Software on the computer that can communicate with the device in 3. and log and chart the readings

There are many issues affecting the choice of equipment and I would recommend that you do your homework by reading relevant posts on this and other coffee forums in particular read through the last several pages of the RoastLogger thread and the Artisan thread in the sticky section above your post. The main issues to consider are:

1. The type of thermocouple to use. K type thermocouples are the most common and cheapest and are adequate for this service.
2. There are a number of devices that can read the thermocouples and communicate the data to a computer. I would strongly suggest you decide on the software you wish to use first then read up on what devices are compatible with that software.
3. For the software to use there are a number of commercially available systems or you can use free software designed for coffee roasting such as the RoastLogger or Artisan mentioned above. I would suggest that you read up on these software options. If you decide to use free software then I suggest you download and run the alternatives to decide what will work best for you.

My advice would be to use a TC4C (you will see links to this on the RoastLogger website). This is designed specifically for coffee roasters, is very reasonably priced, provides temperatures to tenths of a degree, provides excellent rate of rise information, is very flexible and can be programmed to work with either RoastLogger or Artisan. The only difficult task would be to select and install suitable thermocouples. Once this is done you simply connect the thermocouples to the TC4C connect the TC4C to the computer with a USB cable and install and run the chosen software.

The TC4C can be programmed to work with different types of thermocouple and different software but this can be a daunting task if you are not familiar with programming an Arduino. It is, therefore, advisable to select the thermocouples and decide on the software first then order a TC4C programmed to work with these.

Computer control of a 60 kg gas roaster would need to be done very carefully to avoid serious safety issues and I would strongly suggest you would need expert professional advice for the specification and installation of such a system.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Minhkey » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:04 pm

:P Thanks all, i will try and hope to continue to receive the help :)
good weekend
Minhkey

Postby Minhkey » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Can you help me to buy technical documents and drawings to be able to set up system?! Thank you much.

GreenBean wrote:Hi Minhkey, welcome to TMC.:D As Bruce has said
Computer control of a 60 kg gas roaster would need to be done very carefully to avoid serious safety issues and I would strongly suggest you would need expert professional advice for the specification and installation of such a system.
Minhkey

Postby GreenBean » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:08 am

Minhkey wrote:
GreenBean wrote:Hi Minhkey, welcome to TMC.:D As Bruce has said

Can you help me to buy technical documents and drawings to be able to set up system?! Thank you much.

The RoastLogger and TC4C work well together providing computer control of small electrically heated roasters. I am in contact with some people who are experimenting with interfacing a gas control valve to the TC4C to provide computer control of small gas roasters. These people are experienced coffee roasters who have the expertise to build their own roasters and are aware of the safety issues to be overcome.

Computer control of a 60 kg gas roaster is not something that I would recommend you experiment with. If you really want to explore this then I would suggest you contact the roaster manufacturer for advice on systems they would recommend to work with their roaster.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Minhkey » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:59 pm

where ET and BT is the best? whether to set the temperature of the drum?
thank you
Minhkey

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Your roasters design will limit the options available for locating the thermocouples. See this for an introduction to the other issues to consider.

GreenBean

Postby Minhkey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:13 am

I'm trying to build a new one roasting machine
40kg capacity, and gas use. Look forward to the sharing of document technology.
thanks everyone.
Minhkey

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Minhkey wrote:I'm trying to build a new one roasting machine
thanks everyone.

That sounds like a serious project. 8) Are you an experienced coffee roaster? Have you built other roasters? I look forward to hearing how this develops.

GreenBean

Postby Minhkey » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:55 pm

I live in Vietnam. and commercial roaster over 5 years. the truth of our technology obsolete. But machines imported from foreign countries, the costs are too expensive for us. I wish roasting machine can be built with advanced technology and lower costs in accordance with this place. As well as the desire to share our coffee with you. Robusta and Moka, our very great. But processing technology our inappropriate. Looking forward to sharing and helping. thank you.
Minhkey

Postby Minhkey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:09 pm

hix..hix...
4 days ago I have ordered TC4C. but so far have not received a confirmation email. usually, how long the order processed? I also tried to send mail to Jim@pidkits.com but still not receive a response. thank you.
http://www.mlgp-llc.com/arduino/public/arduino-pcb.html

GreenBean wrote:
Minhkey wrote:I'm trying to build a new one roasting machine
thanks everyone.

That sounds like a serious project. 8) Are you an experienced coffee roaster? Have you built other roasters? I look forward to hearing how this develops.
:cry:
Minhkey

Postby GreenBean » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Jim builds and supplies the boards as a service to the home roasting community not as a business. He has a real job which may have taken him away from home or he may be on holiday. If so it may be a week or two before you hear from him.

GreenBean

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques