Roasting with a Turbo Crazy

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:40 pm

That is a bit after second if you are getting oil. Ideally, you would want as a starting point to stop them just on the cusp of second and adjust from there. Definately, no oils or oily smoke.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bronc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Yes, I know I should stop earlier but it hasn't worked for me so far :(
bronc

Postby GreenBean » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:31 pm

You really need advice from Turbo Crazy users. I have no experience with a Turbo Crazy but I would not be surprised to hear that modifications to the bean stirring arrangement and heater control are necessary to achieve good results.

If the bean stirring is not efficient then some beans may be into second crack before others have reached first crack. If the heater control is a simple thermostat turning the heater on or off based on temperature then this could well cause the roast to stall if it turns off for too long. You need some way to reduce the heat (not the set temperature) when approaching first crack. This could be a variac or PWM control of the heater.

What heater control do you have? Have you searched and read widely on what others have done? What modifications have you carried out? Now you have your digital thermometer have you recorded the temperatures against roast time for your roasts?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:17 pm

I agree with GB, you could have beans at all stages at once, and potentially insufficient cooling as well, unfortunately. Experienced Turbo Crazy users will probably have experienced similar issues in the past.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bronc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:55 pm

All my roasts so far have been very even in terms of colour. The stirring mechanism is very good and agitates the beans very well. I have no way of controlling the temperature except for the thermostat. I don't want to put any more money in this because I see it as a temporary solution until I have got myself a Gene/Hottop.

I keep track of the temperature using the digital thermometer but even though the tip touches the beans it mostly measures the temperature of the air, not of the mass of the beans. I heard the first signs of 1C at ~13min which is too slow but I wanted to first dry the beans which didn't work out very well. At around 15-16min I'm pretty sure the 2C started and I dumped the beans as they were getting dark and oil started showing on the surface.

I've noticed that the beans are very fragile and I can easily crack them with my fingers. They look a bit bloated and crack when just a little pressure has been applied.
bronc

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques