Quest M3

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Quest M3

Postby daveyb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Does anyone have one of these, or have any accurate info on them? I am considering a new roaster, love my Gene, do not want a Hottop and there is not much else going!
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

RE: Quest M3

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 pm

Member Lukas has one. Try PMing him. The roast capacity is very small.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Quest M3

Postby GreenBean » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:52 am

bruceb wrote:Member Lukas has one. Try PMing him. The roast capacity is very small.

You may also want to review the thread on the Quest M3 started by Lukas.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby daveyb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks for the info. Over night, I have discounted the Quest for the simple reason that it does not have CE certification. So, that leaves a shoot out between the Hottop B and P.
I have loved my Gene and may still keep her for those days when you get all sentimental........I like the Gene because it is simple, heat and time. I have been offered a P model, yet have had a seasoned Hottoper recommend me the B model as it more resembles the Gene. Since there is not a great number of these circulating, am I better buying a new one and paying more, or buying a second hand one that has held its price? Hottop are now selling themselves directly from the UK, so no more lottery with Customs, and have quoted me
We have a warehouse in UK and send from UK, so you don't need to pay extra
import tax, we have two models, price as below
KN8828B-2K GBP890
KN8828P-2K GBP790
The price all inc shipping cost, we also offer warranty for one year,
payment is by transfer, we'd like to know which model you want, thanks.

So, if a P is £790 new, a 4 year old one must be worth £300, but I doubt you will ge tone for that......any thoughts?
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

Postby GreenBean » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:48 pm

I think the Hottop is a fine roaster that can produce very good results. I would not recommend the Hottop P, however. The P control panel is far too restrictive and only offers on off control of the heater. The B control panel is much better and allows for control on the fly.

Hottop have always charged more for the Hottop P in the past so either the prices quoted are reversed or they have recently realised that no one wants the P panel.

I have converted both of my Hottops to computer control and do use a P control panel with that as the computer control removes the restrictions from the P panel. If you want to read more about that see the RoastLogger thread.

I think the original B model is as good as the latest 2K models so a second hand one of these would be fine. If you are considering a second hand P model I would suggest factoring a new B panel (or computer control) into your calculation.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bluevalentine » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:28 pm

My beloved 10-year old Hotprog has just pegged out. Wonderful machine, was very happy with the programmable functions except about 3 years ago parts of the display began to fade. Didn't matter too much, by that time I'd whittled it down to 3 profiles.
I'd happily consider another Hottop/Hotprog. Can anyone give me a website or e-mail address for the UK supplier, I can't find them.
At the same time the Quest M3 looks interesting - nicely funky and I might consider one. Do they have an agent in UK or Europe?
Also, anything else I should be considering. I've been lurking past few years so a bit out of touch with you guys.
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Postby silron1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:32 pm

At the moment there is no UK supplier of the Hottop.

However if you contact Shelly in Taiwan she will update you with the current models & prices. If you import from TW you do take a chance with import duty.

Currently Hottop do keep a few machines in the UK & if you can get one of these from Shelly you eliminate any worries with import duty etc.

The email address is Shelly Chiang <shelly@hottop.com.tw>

Ron

BTW - The Quest is not certificated for use in UK. The Hottop is certificated
silron1

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:51 am

silron1 wrote:At the moment there is no UK supplier of the Hottop.

However if you contact Shelly in Taiwan she will update you with the current models & prices. If you import from TW you do take a chance with import duty.

Currently Hottop do keep a few machines in the UK & if you can get one of these from Shelly you eliminate any worries with import duty etc.

The email address is Shelly Chiang <shelly@hottop.com.tw>

Ron

BTW - The Quest is not certificated for use in UK. The Hottop is certificated

+1. I am not aware of any UK or European agent for the Quest M3 either so both are in the same boat.

I have found the after sales service from Shelly to be excellent.

GreenBean

Postby bluevalentine » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:36 am

Taken the plunge and ordered, after much deliberation, a Huky 500. Mr Kuanho Li was very helpful and answered all my questions - including the daft ones - promptly
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques