First time roaster, any thoughts?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby lsjms » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:57 pm

No mention of the Quest M3... dunno how much they are over here but they look like the best home roaster.

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... pic&t=8992

I'd consider a Huky 500 too.
lsjms

Postby qwerty69 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:54 pm

Might have thought about the Quest but the lack of CE approval would put me off.

Will look at the Huky.
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby qwerty69 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:08 am

The Huky 500 certainly looks good. I can't imaging its cheap though?

Any idea what they sell for?
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby simonp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:08 am

qwerty69 wrote:So lets say I was going to try roasting with a popper (until I decide on the hottop) which one? Are there any recommendations or required specifications?

I looked for Prima Poppers but beyond something expensive and shaped like a duck I can't find anything!

I used a Rival RP25 which was ideal. Not sure you can get them new now, but some still go on eBay quite cheap. Modifications can go from a tin can to increase capacity (and as a good side effect lengthen the roast). To the full heater control mod, see my old article on this on this site.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby lsjms » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:41 am

The Quest looks bulletproof and spares/customer service reports seem good. CE approval means they have to build in cooling breaks, underpower the element and other annoying stuff just to try and prevent fires which happen anyway if the human isn't properly connected. I imagine the Huky would not be approved except it's supplied without a heat source.
lsjms

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:04 pm

Before people start getting euphoric and forget the facts here, the Quest has a capacity of 120g.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby qwerty69 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Given that I'm only looking to roast for my own consumption relatively low volumes per roast wouldn't be a problem.

The Quest and Huky look quite professional but I wonder if they might be beyond a novices skill level?!? Anyone have any idea of the cost of either?
qwerty69

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:02 pm

qwerty69 wrote:Given that I'm only looking to roast for my own consumption relatively low volumes per roast wouldn't be a problem.

The Quest and Huky look quite professional but I wonder if they might be beyond a novices skill level?!? Anyone have any idea of the cost of either?

I also only roast for my wife's and my own consumption, with occasional guests showing up now and then, but I don't want to have to roast anymore than once every 10 days or so. I bought the Maggiolino because the capacity of the HotTop meant roasting weekly. Everyone to their own, of course.

Lukas has a Quest. The archives have a lot of information on this roaster. You might want to look through this thread. If you have any more specific questions I'm sure a PM to Lukas would bring a quick response. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby daveyb » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:01 am

Interesting, that absolutely no one comes to the defence of the Gene. I have had two since they first hit our shores. The early ones were dogs with two problems. The firmware was no good, and they came with 230 v elements which burnt out. Once the firmware issue was sorted, and the 240 v element fitted, they really became a good machine. There are no profiles. It is you, a time button and a temperature control. You can make your own curves and profiles...isn't that novel!
I hVE ALSO MODED MINE, BY FITTING A DIMMER SWITCH AND ALTERING THE WIRING, SO THAT AFTER FIRST CRACK, I CAN ADJUST THE WATTAGE,NOT THE VOLTAGE TO STRETCH THE DISTANCE OUT. THEY ARE AS (excuse caps!) cheap as chips when compared to the HT, available in the UK from that excellent customer support company Bellabarista.
I do not see what yoiur decision is? Your knowledge as a roasted will improve as you roast! Do not be hung up on trying to perfect the perfect roast on your first attempt. it will not happen! Ask anyone who does home roast!
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

Postby GreenBean » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:55 am

daveyb wrote:Interesting, that absolutely no one comes to the defence of the Gene....

Both simonp and myself mentioned our views on the Gene Cafe in the second and third posts in this thread.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:02 pm

I mercifully refrained from mentioning my view of the Gene. 8)
bruceb

Postby daveyb » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Bruce, the nice thing about a view, is that we can all have one and all be equally right!
For me, the Gene reigns supreme, but I accept that not everyone likes it. I very rarely get a bad roast from it although my tastebuds may not be as developed as some!
Regards
Daveyb
daveyb

Postby qwerty69 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:42 pm

What about the FZ-RR 700, the motorised version is about £200 and it might be nice to go completely old school.

There seems to be a fair amount of information out there but has anyone on hear used one or got any thoughts?
qwerty69

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:07 am

Just caught this thread and find it odd how much opinion has changed since the Gene was introduced. As I remember it was widely applauded at the time although found to be lacking as referred to further up the thread. I do believe that the introduction of the uprated element and especially the dimmer mod made a huge difference causing a revival.
Personally I'm still using the original model of the Hottop bought second-hand from Steve and this has proved to be a regular workhorse which has required little attention over the years.

@qwerty: Sorry to hear that you had trouble with my Vivi and glad it's now sorted.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby lukas » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 am

Hi all, regarding the Quest M3: it can comfortably roast 180g, and can do 220g with sacrificing controllability and clarity in the cup. The sweet spot seems to be somewhere between 150 and 180g for me. Still using it as a sample roaster and love it for its versatility - it is very simple and has a wide range of possible roasting styles. Batch size and lack of (pre installed) insulation are the downers, but it is still the best small roaster I ever operated (never personally used a hottop, from what I gather the results should be pretty compareable).
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques