Who's Still Roasting?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: ceramic pot on stove

Postby bruceb » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:27 am

There is only one deciding factor in coffee: How it tastes to you. After 15 years of roasting coffee with various (more-or-less expensive) roasting machines I cannot imagine roasting in a pot, a dog bowl or with a heat gun or pop-corn popper. However, I have not tried any of these for many years and have no idea how the coffee would taste. Therefore, I cannot recommend one way or the other. For you to decide you probably will need to try a dedicated roaster and see how you enjoy the process and how the coffee tastes to you.
When you speak of "peeled" beans I presume you mean beans that have already had the chaff removed like those from Dieckmann. I have tried some of those coffees and found them to taste defective, however here again, it is your taste that is important, not my opinion.

If you watch ebay you may find a small hot-air roaster for sale quite inexpensively. This would be a possibility for you to "test the water" and find out if there is a difference and if it is worth it to you.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out for you.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi athkaptah, welcome to TMC :D I can only second the wise advice from Bruce. I do not have the skills necessary to achieve good results from roasting in pans or bowls so I resort to roasting machines. Have you compared your roasts to those of local artisan roasters? If you prefer your own roasts then you are unlikely to do better by moving to a roasting machine.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby athkaptah » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks for your welcome bruceb and GreeBean.
Good to meet people who understand what coffee is.

I will put some effort in comparing my personal roast and a roasting machine. Looks like it is worth. Maybe with a local roasting company or buying one second hand. I am sure I will stick to home roasted coffee, though.

During holidays I buy my grean beans on the local market and they look like Parchment Coffee on this page, http://www.sweetmarias.com/SingleBeanMa ... etals.html. I am not a native english speaker and now I think the 'peel' I should have called 'parchment shell'. I consider the chaff the paper thin shell that come off when I cool the beans after the roast by stirring, right ?
I did both roasting the beans with and without peeling the parchment shell off. I think the bean with parchment shell gives a sweeter taste.
athkaptah

Postby bruceb » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Correct or not, we generally refer to the "parchment shell" around the bean as chaff. I just read on the Internet a good bit about this and it seems to standard use. The "paper thin shell" that you speak of is the same as the "parchment shell" around the beans, which actually consists of two thin membranes that come off individually, resulting in "first crack" and "second crack" when roasting. The only way I know to remove this shell is to roast the beans and the beans sold by Dieckmann for use in their little hot-air gun roaster are pre-roasted to remove the membranes. In my opinion this results in a loss of quality of the beans. If you mean something different when you speak of removing the parchment shell you will have to explain what it is.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Welcome athkaptah. You will certainly obtain more even and eminently more repeatable results in a roasting machine, but as GB and Bruce have said, it's what you enjoy, both in terms of roasting and your preference in flavour that really matters. It's a great deal of fun either way :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby jameso » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:21 am

Well, if the roasting section of the forum is anything to go by, TMC people are certainly less interested in talking about roasting, even if it still goes on. This thread last updated last month. Then the next thread down was last roasted in December 2013, and the one below that in November 2013. Then it gets a bit busier - but not like I remember from when I was around these parts more.

Me, I haven't roasted since we had son #3. Life just got too busy :-(. That, and I discovered InMyMug, which mostly keeps us topped up enough with fresh beans.
HotTop
Iberital MC2, modded Dualit grinder, Zassenhaus
Gaggia Classic + PID, 4 moka pots, 5 press pots, 1 Aeropress - and a Kalita Uno!

My other hobbies:

Writing free fractal generation software
jameso

Postby bruceb » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:41 pm

I have no idea what I would write about concerning roasting. I roast twice a month every month, I love the coffee I drink and what more can I say? I was thinking about modifying my roaster with some better monitoring equipment and datalogger, etc., but I really don't see any reason to do it and I'm rebuilding a 4-story house together with my wife, which gives me enough to do. :-) I think that for many of us the "experimental phase" of coffee roasting and preparation are behind us. We used to get a lot more newbies that wanted information or help, but that rarely happens anymore.
bruceb

Postby Joris » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:19 am

Still roasting (sometimes, not always due to lack of time) with the home made Juggernaut here :)

I think that for many of us the "experimental phase" of coffee roasting and preparation are behind us. We used to get a lot more newbies that wanted information or help, but that rarely happens anymore.

I concur with what wise man Bruce said....

One thing I really miss from the good ol' days is experimenting with, and sharing blends with the other looneys here at TMC...
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Re: Who's Still Roasting?

Postby zapty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi guys and gals,

I am still roasting up a storm here in Hoensbroek The Netherlands. Recently I had my 30th coffee roasting anniversary and I still tend to roast bi-weekly. Presently I have about 40 kg of beans in stock and my trustworthy Korean built 800n roaster is still going strong without any defects or parts needed. I take it apart for a clean about every 6 months and that's about it.
Good to see that there are still some of the old gang lurking around here. Keep up the roasting, grinding and drinking fresh coffee...!!! Good for you...!!!

Cheers to you all,

Patrick
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:51 pm

Patrick! Great to hear from you :D There are still a few if us lurking about and I suspect more reading. It's so good to hear that you are still roasting. Your post has made my day. Take care my friend :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Joris » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:18 pm

Hiya Patrick! We should have a roasting meet again sometime...

I still have the big homebuilt roaster but since I have to use it outside it doesn't get much use. I recently started using the Gene Cafe again, with 2 roasts each weekend it does the job. Now enjoying a nice Finca La Loma Caterra Yellow Honey.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby zapty » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi Joris,

Long time no see...!!!
I'm roasting lots of Colombo lately, Huilla (caturra 1700m), Café del Tolima (Castilla 1800 m), Café de Planadas (Caturra 1450m), some Cameroon and lots of other beans like PNG and so on.
Would be nice to see you one of these days...

Cheers,

Patrick
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby motoman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:26 am

Still roasting with Huky No. 681, still answering silly questions as I Waterfall my roast on the front step.

Q. Why are you roasting the beans? Don't they come ready roasted?
A. A double roast gives me a double espresso for the price of a single

Q.Whats the difference between your coffee and %arb&cks?
A. A month on a Spanish beach every year from the money I save

Q. Why do you roast the beans?
A. To change the signature blend avoiding copyright infringement.

A little mendacity goes a long way.
Running out of answers, please help
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 pm

What Ho Pete! So glad to see you :D It's good to see the sense of humour is still going strong, and there are still a few of us old timers lurking about. I know Bruce is still here. Hope you are keeping well old friend :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques