Who's Still Roasting?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Who's Still Roasting?

Postby simonp » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:57 pm

I was just wondering how many home roasters there are out there and what are you using? Looking at this part of the forum I would say not as many as there were.
Myself, I'm still roasting over 95% of my consumption& still using the Hottop I bought (slightly used) 7.5 years ago. It must have done around 800 roasts. I suppose I ought to clean it one day :lol:
It has been remarkably reliable, only filters have ever been changed. I've no idea what I would replce it with if it ever went, there doesn't seem much out there and the Hottops are now ridiculuos money :evil:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

RE: Who

Postby frcn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Been roasting my own coffee for over 12 years! Styatrted with a Hearthware Precision (which I still have) in late 2000. Later bought a Hearthware Gourmet as a backup when they were closing them out. Also have an iRoast2.

I don't keep track of the number of roasts I have done, but since I installed the TC4C+HTC setup in my Hottop KN-8828B-2K I have done 40 roasts. iirc, I have had 5 or 6 Hottops, and currently have three in house: a "B" I use regularly, a "P" for testing purposes, and a KN-8828 which was the first Hottop into the USA (no cooling fan for the cooling tray, no user control other than start and stop, no safety grillwork).

In a month or two, rumor has it that I will be receiving teh new Hottop roaster model. it will be large, advanced, and sophisticated... keep an eye on my website for details!

* - Hottop is a client. I created their website as well as the owner's manual, but I was an enthusiastic user before that when I received that first unit for media review purposes.
- from Randy G. -
Hottop USA Customer Service
...and so much more!
frcn

Re: RE: Who

Postby GreenBean » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi Simon, it is good to see you around here. I am still enjoying roasting all my coffee with my Hottops. :D

frcn wrote:... In a month or two, rumor has it that I will be receiving the new Hottop roaster model. it will be large, advanced, and sophisticated... keep an eye on my website for details!.....

That sounds exciting Randy. I hope it is not sophisticated in the same way as the P control panel. :? I look forward to hearing more about it. :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Ian » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:28 pm

frcn wrote:In a month or two, rumor has it that I will be receiving teh new Hottop roaster model. it will be large, advanced, and sophisticated... keep an eye on my website for details!

I'll give it a good testing after you if you like?

;)
Ian

RE: Re: RE: Who

Postby quink » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Not as much as i used to. I found Happy Donkey classic italian, and pretty much constantly use that in the Silvia. It's 30% robusta so has a good kick in the morning, and good flavour as well.
I still roast for other brewing types, press, vac, etc.
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:17 am

I roast every 10 days and sometimes in between if we have company. I have been doing a lot of experimenting with roasting curves and times, not all of which have been successful. I cannot get a decent cup of coffee or even reasonably fresh roasted beans that I like, so I see little choice.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby frcn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:26 am

Ian wrote:I'll give it a good testing after you if you like?
;)

"You can have my new Hottop roaster when you pry it out of my cold dead hands." ;)

I am quite excited and wish I could share more details, but there have been so many delays and changes that I am trying to restran myself so as not to throw more dung into the compost heap. But it is rumored to be 1Kg (2lb.) capacity. I helped design the user interface for the LCD screen... I've already said too much... I know there are features I requested (recommended [ORDERED THEM TO INCLUDE]) that will not be present, so we shall all see what is what.

DISCLAIMER: But just in case, let me state that I make no money from sales of the machines. I am not an employee of the company. They are a client of my digital imaging and graphics company. Don't let that impress you either. The company is me, my computer, and my cameraa.
- from Randy G. -
...and so much more!
frcn

Postby GreenBean » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:40 am

frcn wrote:... "You can have my new Hottop roaster when you pry it out of my cold dead hands." ;)...

That sounds like an acceptable deal to me. What was your home address again? :wink: :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 pm

GreenBean wrote:
frcn wrote:... "You can have my new Hottop roaster when you pry it out of my cold dead hands." ;)...

That sounds like an acceptable deal to me. What was your home address again? :wink: :D

Too late! :twisted:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby frcn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:20 pm

bruceb wrote:That sounds like an acceptable deal to me. What was your home address again? :wink: :D

Well, well.. If you get by my two German Shepherds, and my wife (who is as good or better shot than I am), we can talk it over while sipping cap's... if the mountain lions don't get you first.

Our local sheriff recommended we practice the three Esses... Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up. Another officer gave a local property owner a box of ammunition to deal with trespassers riding dirt bikes on his posted private property. It's an interesting community... but the coffee is good! :shock:
- from Randy G. -
...and so much more!
frcn

Postby motoman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

frcn wrote:
bruceb wrote:That sounds like an acceptable deal to me. What was your home address again? :wink: :D

Well, well.. If you get by my two German Shepherds, and my wife (who is as good or better shot than I am), we can talk it over while sipping cap's... if the mountain lions don't get you first.

Our local sheriff recommended we practice the three Esses... Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up. Another officer gave a local property owner a box of ammunition to deal with trespassers riding dirt bikes on his posted private property. It's an interesting community... but the coffee is good! :shock:

I have been to Northern California where Randy lives, you could not meet a nicer pair than he and his partner George. The Castro district is filled with kind loving couples, the police carry sweet pink silicone billy sticks and cans of Davidoff Hot to calm criminals having a hissy fit. As for his attack doge, if they can get out of their handbags fast enough, a tiny sliver of Ostrich pâté and you are friends for life.

Can someone please confirm that my address is not published before I hit the submit button.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:56 pm

motoman wrote:.... Can someone please confirm that my address is not published before I hit the submit button.

No problem Motoman. In case anyone does not already know your address I have listed it below:

Mr. Motoman
TMC retirement home
Bridgnorth
Shropshire UK

Most of you will know, however, that he is rarely at the home. He prefers to spend his time dressed in a grim reaper costume, standing outside the home, waving at the residents. On other days he can be seen wandering the streets of Bridgnorth shouting at busses. :roll: :wink:

GreenBean

Postby motoman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:24 am

Having successfully killed this thread I would like to point out that I still roast, any silly bugger, fool enough to get too close is mercilessly roasted, humiliated and castigated. I rarely shout at busses these days, I do however hold up obscene placards as they pass and my regular appearances at the magistrates court are well documented.

I do object to the wiggly beans description of my outfit, as a country boy I wear the approved outfit of tank top, tutu and green wellies
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: RE: Re: RE: Who

Postby GreenBean » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

motoman wrote:...I do object to the wiggly beans description of my outfit, as a country boy I wear the approved outfit of tank top, tutu and green wellies

Photos please, lots of photos. :D :wink:

GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Who

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Randy, please keep us updated as soon as you are able to reveal more and have the review unit. I so wish Hottops were once again readily available in the UK. Perhaps you could poke them in the ribs about that for us? :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques