I'm not feeling very well

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

I'm not feeling very well

Postby tisri » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:44 pm

This afternoon I roasted some Mysore with a view to blending it with the Monsoon Malabar (as recommended in response to a previous post about the Malabar)

Now take a seat before reading any further - I stopped the roast before second crack started. That's right, first crack was still underway (although slowing noticeably) and I hit the Eject button! The beans look like they're barely browned but they smell nice. In a couple of days I get to taste them.

Luckily later on I felt a little better, and some Monsoon Malabar got well and truly nuked :twisted:
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby PeterAG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:25 pm

Tisri
Your advice on the mocha was very good I stopped the popcorn machine 2mins after the very first crackof the first crack was heard and I got a very very good shots :D ( there would have been more but in the carefree tossing and cooling in the garden half of them disappeared (too much merlot - it was my birthday :drink: ) )- nested brackets in a letter, lets hope I don't become recursive also.

Enjoy your M-cubed. Reading about the MM it sounds very beguiling, very romantic, beans swollen by the breeze generated by the Monsoon,..... I remember the breezes in Bombay and also in the rainy season West Africa, Ports are never good places for those with a sensitive sense of smell :shock:

Kind regards and thanks
Peter
Dualit 84009
Dualit Grinder
Heat Gun Roaster

><>
PeterAG

Postby tisri » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:40 pm

Hi Peter,

Glad you enjoyed the Mocha. It's easy to throw beans over the side - I put them in a colander and then swirl them as if I were panning for gold. The same swirling motion to filter out the chaff and the same care not to send a nugget over the side :)

The Monsoon Malabar is one of my favourites at the moment - it's weird to roast because second crack often starts before first crack is finished. I'd highly recommend giving it a go, and pushing it well into second.

Cheers
John
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques