Something to make you smile

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Something to make you smile

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:31 pm

I hope everyone is getting along well in the new year.

An e-mail arrived a few days ago from a man saying that he had seen my pictures of the Maggiolino roaster and he had some questions for me. It seems he bought a used HotTop recently, his first roaster, and the coffee he was producing was undrinkable. He asked me for advice and I related my experience and methods for the HotTop and he wrote back that he was doing things exactly the same way I was.

By way of coincidence he was roasting a Guatemala Esmeralda, the same coffee I have been drinking of late so I felt certain the beans were not to blame. He said the roasts were all light and the coffee tasted like grass and even gummed up his grinder. It was obvious the beans were underroasted, but he assured me he roasted to second crack.

Finally, he started a roast and then called me on the phone and described what what happening:

The roast was going along nicely when suddenly I heard first crack over the phone, which delighted me. Then a few seconds later he suddenly said, "There, second crack! I will now eject the beans." I could not suppress my laugh as I realised that he understood the second audible crack as....oh, you get it.

I tried not to embarrass him and since he now has it sorted he's happy. l don't think he'll be reading this since he doesn't seem to speak any English at all, which may be part of the problem.

I wish good coffee to all.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Something to make you smile

Postby lsjms » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Hehe, today I roasted to the 956th crack!
lsjms

Re: RE: Something to make you smile

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks for sharing that Bruce :D It did make me smile but I guess it is an understandable misunderstanding. I am sure he is now enjoying good coffee.

lsjms wrote:Hehe, today I roasted to the 956th crack!

:-) Thanks for the tip Lawrence. I will try it next time I roast although I may lose count. :? :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:31 pm

GreenBean wrote:Thanks for sharing that Bruce :D It did make me smile but I guess it is an understandable misunderstanding. I am sure he is now enjoying good coffee.

lsjms wrote:Hehe, today I roasted to the 956th crack!

:-) Thanks for the tip Lawrence. I will try it next time I roast although I may lose count. :? :wink:

I beg your pardon GB, but if anyone could qualify as a bean counter we know who it is. You could easily (I'm sure) modify your roasting software to count the cracks. Let's not shirk our duties now! 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 pm

bruceb wrote:...I beg your pardon GB, but if anyone could qualify as a bean counter we know who it is. You could easily (I'm sure) modify your roasting software to count the cracks. Let's not shirk our duties now! 8)

Thank you for the suggestion Bruce :D Unfortunately I think your apparent confidence in my abilities exceeds my competence by a large margin. :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Java zero day vulnerability

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:08 am

A new vulnerability in Java has been announced recently. This can result in malware being installed on your computer if you visit compromised websites containing malicious code.

To avoid this problem it is recommended that you disable the Java plug-in in your web browser and keep it disabled until a patch is released.

Please note that disabling Java in your browser protects you from this issue without any affect on RoastLogger. RoastLogger is a desktop application which does not have any connection to the internet and does not use the Java plug-in.

For further information seethis,this,this,and this.

GreenBean

RE: Java zero day vulnerability

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:58 am

I feel for the poor man. Glad you got him sorted in the end Bruce :) His coffee must have been really grim at first crack! :shock:

Loz, it's 1000th crack or nothing for us. I can't believe you are a 950s sort of coffee drinker ;)

Okay then GB, that will be both of my Javas disabled this week. Currently drinking filter and imagining what an espresso might taste like. Three weeks and counting!
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Whoops!

Postby GreenBean » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:20 am

Whilst having a bad day yesterday I managed to post the above, about the Java zero day vulnerability, in the wrong thread. :oops: :oops: I had intended to post it in the RoastLogger thread. I expect that most of you realised that. :wink:

I have now posted it where it belongs and apologise for my ineptitude which I can only put down to a debilitating "senior moment". :?

GreenBean

RE: Whoops!

Postby bruceb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:14 am

Relax GB. All of my moments are senior. Image
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:45 pm

And i was too stupid to realise it might ave belonged elsewhere :-)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 am

Id love to read this thread but I cant find it.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: RE: Whoops!

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:59 am

bruceb wrote:Relax GB. All of my moments are senior. Image

CakeBoy wrote:And i was too stupid to realise it might ave belonged elsewhere :-)

motoman wrote:Id love to read this thread but I cant find it.

It is heartening to know that I am in such good company. :D :wink:

GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Whoops!

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Where are we again? :roll: :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Whoops!

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:00 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Where are we again? :roll: :)

The Battle of Waterloo...I think. Image
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Whoops!

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Ah, a horse, a horse, my kingdom for! No, hang on a minute :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques