UK suppliers of greens

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

UK suppliers of greens

Postby ahgee2 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Can anyone recommend UK sources of speciality, current crop greens at around £10 per kilo? Unfortunately, my favourite and trusted supplier has recently increased green prices to around the same price as roasted. As much as I enjoy home roasting, I cannot bring myself to pay roasted prices for greens, knowing that my roasts are generally inferior to what I could get from the supplier! Quality is everything, so I am looking for greens with plenty of provenance, including harvest date. Any suggestions?
ahgee2

Re: UK suppliers of greens

Postby GreenBean » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:56 am

I am not aware of a supplier offering the quality and provenance you are looking for for £10 per kilo. It is not surprising that prices for such coffee are increasing but it is very sad for home roasters when the differential between the green and roasted price accounts for little more than the weight loss during roasting. :(

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby double_shot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:38 am

Intriguing when you consider the VAT element is supposed to be removed from the price of greens. :roll:
double_shot

Postby GreenBean » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:52 am

double_shot wrote:Intriguing when you consider the VAT element is supposed to be removed from the price of greens. :roll:

I believe that both green and roasted coffee are zero rated for VAT. It would be nice, however, if the cost of designing, building, staffing, running, maintaining and insuring a roastery was removed, at least partially, from the price of greens. :(

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby double_shot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 am

I stand corrected you're right coffee is Zero rated. :D

As you say there is very little financial benefit in home roasting compared to purchasing roasted beans. Which is further compounded by the risk of losing a batch through error, which the commercial roaster would absorb other wise. :?
double_shot

Postby motoman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:01 am

We all want cheaper greerns but we also want variety, this means importing from many different countries around the world. Shipping costs have risen sharply over the past few years so we either stick to a single country or pay for the priviledge of choice.

I used to get my greens from the US until they changed from delivery by sea mail to air freight. the cost became too much to be of value so I now buy all my beans in the UK. Bella Barista beans are good value in their coffee club rates but restricted to their own choice not mine. Steves greens give me a choice of what I like and my son has discovered his roast stock is to his taste.

The difference in greens and roast is minimal but their main expence is shipping from around the world as well as home delivery.

I must point out that I have no commercial connection with Hasbean but the coffee is bloody lovely.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques