Hottop exit shoot

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hottop exit shoot

Postby Jonny782 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:58 pm

I have the frustrating experience of pouring in the beans when the machine bleeps and they come straight out again to my fury. This happens from time to time. Is there a way of oiling the trap door? I now realise I can have a look before switching powering up and if necessary push it shut with a screw driver without having to take out the drum, but wonder if others have had this problem?
Jonny782

RE: Hottop exit shoot

Postby lsjms » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Yep, been there, my door would operate but not fully close. I take it your solenoid is working?

In my case the linkage from the door to the solenoid had become loose, it just needed some bending, tightening and jiggling to get it going. I cleaned the solenoid, a lot of coffee gunk builds up round there.

If you take off the back and operate the door (careful) it should be pretty obvious what the cause of yuor problem is. Take some photos if you are not sure
lsjms

RE: Hottop exit shoot

Postby bruceb » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:01 pm

The only problem I've ever had with this in more than a thousand roasts is a burnt bean getting caught in the chute and keeping the door from closing.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:05 am

In the past I have had the eject door stick open and stick closed in both cases it was caused, as Bruce says, by burnt/broken beans jamming the mechanism.

Some years ago I changed my routine to check the door is free to move after each roast and have had no further problems. After each roast I remove the roast chamber end cover remove the chaff and use a long barbecue fork to remove any beans trapped in the drum vanes. I then use the fork to press gently on the eject door to ensure it is not stuck closed and that it springs back when released.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Puck » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:16 pm

I used to have a similar problem where the flap would stick or move sluggishly.
After dismantling it I eventually figured out that it was caused by the coil spring on the flap being wound too tightly.
I stretched the spring just enough to give a tiny gap between the windings and it has work perfectly ever since.
My guess is that a layer of oxide had built up on the surface over time that acted like a friction lock.
I seem to remember though, that it was quite a job dismantling the machine to gain access to it. Still, it got a good spring clean and de-gunk at the same time.
(active kit) Izzo Alex Duetto | Versalab M3 | Hottop 8828P
(retired kit)Rancilio Silvia | KitchenAid Grinder | Mazzer Major | Hearthware iRoast 2
Puck

Postby Jonny782 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Yes, I had a look inside and quickly realised dismantelling was beyond me, but checking and poking if nec after each roast seems the thing. Thank you, jonny
Jonny782

Postby frcn » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:07 pm

If you go to the Hottop USA website you will find full repair procedures, illustrated, step-by-step (I wrote them). I completely disassemble my Hottop once a year or so for a thorough cleaning. The eject door should not be sticking at all like that. I would worry that if it can stick open it could also stick closed. My first question would be how old is the machine and how much use has it received?
- from Randy G. -
Hottop USA Customer Service
...and so much more!
frcn

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques