In the doldrums ?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

In the doldrums ?

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Only a few weeks back I posted comments and questions about my coffee doldrums, I send Steve an imploring message.

I now know what happened, everything I did from the roast to the brew had got to the overconfident stage to such an extent I was doing everything wrong.

I was roasting to quickly, so-much-so that first and second crack appeared together and no sign of any gloss on the beans together with unequal roast.

At the brewing stage, far to course a grind and far to much water to coffee.

I'm happy again and I was almost ready to bin 6 kilos of greens, thats how bad it was.

Happy Christmas everyone.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

RE: In the doldrums ?

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:26 pm

So glad things are back on track Richard. A happy Christmas to you too. Enjoy your coffee :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks.

You-know, my comments about those who prefer instant are-not meant to be a judgement.

My taste and preference in coffee came about as a result of the odd-cup of something served very occasionally by either a friend or the odd coffee shop that cares about coffee.

When I joined this forum I was in need, within weeks of roasting my own the brewing process became a challenge, then the roasting process wasn't doing the right thing, then back to the brewing process.

Press-pot-V-espresso was ongoing and I decided to sell my Sylvia on the basis that espresso was wasted on me, horror of horrors, I enjoy a little half-and-half in my coffee.

What i'm trying to describe is a journey of discovery into what tastes good to me. Those who who never made any sort of journey should regard themselves as missing-out if their tastes have only been influenced by coffee machines and shops selling poor quality, poorly made and even-worse, coffee with not a lot of coffee in it.

It's like your vocabulary, if you only mix with juveniles, never read and didn't pay attention at school, you'll end-up talking bro-spreak or text-speak. Not like-what-the Queen does, Eh ? :D

Right now my roast is taking twice as long but it's twice as nice.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby RobC » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:32 pm

An interesting and useful conclusion to your issues, nothing in life is black and white - what works for some people does not neccesarily work for your own tastes.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Richard » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:41 am

RobC wrote:nothing in life is black and white - what works for some people does not neccesarily work for your own tastes.

It's a fact.

I have a pal who drinks any red wine that includes the Tempranillo grape, i've tried, I just dislike the taste either it's the grape or the process. But at least I tried.

With coffee i'm stuck, even though my doldrum is over i'm stuck at two beans types because I feel safe, now I need to move on so i'm going to ask for recommendations or should I just experiment ?

I'm using Brazil Espresso Perfetio and El Salvador Finka La Fany, I have no problem with either and i'm not sure I have a preference.

Only using press pot if you include Aeropress in the press pot arena.

Shall I go to Africa ? Anyone tried Steve's latest African bean ?
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby zix » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:46 am

Yirgacheffe is fun, and so are other Ethiopians. Be prepared for much more chaff and lots of taste. I tend to like yirga very much fresh from the roast. There is "something" to it that I can't quite describe. It's not there anymore after >2 days. Try it if you want to :)
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques