Ooops... it seems the hand ordered a Behmor.

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Ooops... it seems the hand ordered a Behmor.

Postby zix » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Just couldn't contain it.
After the long wait for the Behmor to reach production and to finally arrive in European version, I sort of choked like a petrol motor on diesel when, through Steve's heroic efforts, it suddenly became available. Don't quite know what it was that happened, but anyway, it's gone now (4 years after I think, or is it 3?).

It's ordered! Hope it arrives soon, hope it arrives soon, hope...
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

RE: Ooops... it seems the hand ordered a Behmor.

Postby lukas » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:55 am

Oh Zix of the dark age ermmm i mean bean, what have thou done?!

Have fun :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby motoman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 am

Is he referring to the Mk2 version with the vacuum vortex chaff remover, I heard that John Dyson had a hand in the design.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Aadje » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Well, happy roasting :D
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby zix » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks, boys! Always nice with a bit of cheering. Still doing almost all of my roasting in the almighty oven, but I was planning to invade the job with the Behmor. We have a kitchenette at one of the floors where I think we can hide it. I can't start roasting manually in the job oven, that would never be accepted, but this will hopefully pass below the radar -ish.
From now every Friday will be Dark Friday. And I mean that in a bean way. Vacuum Vortex Chaff Remover indeed...
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby davidbondy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Have I missed something? I had my Behmor from Steve about eighteen months ago!

Is this a new version or what?

Thanks,

David
davidbondy

Postby lukas » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:41 pm

Not you David - he!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby motoman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:59 pm

Or is that he he he!

Sorry David.

Change your avitar to DB9 and I will love you for ever.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Nice Zix :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zix » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:55 pm

Yep, waiting, yearning, itching. Strange feeling. Hasn't been like that with anything coffee related for a while now.
zix

Postby zix » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Aaand, it has arrived!
Aaannnd.... I did my first roast with it!
And... Yes, it was drinkable. Even palatable, or should I say tasty? You UK residents tell me, cause I am just a Swede (no, not going to do that old joke again, you do that if you want) and know noooothing. Or close to nothing.

What a nice little machine it is. The Behmor, I mean. Looks much better in reality than in the pictures. I particularly like the chaff stop thingy, just because it looks like Meccano. It does want to get stuck unless you watch carefully how you take it out, but since the stress of moving the beans from the roaster to the cooling tray is gone with the Behmor's cooling function, I don't think we will have a problem with that. (I hear some people turbo-cool their beans somewhere else than in the Behmor but don't think we will go quite to that level of nerdiness with this machine. I am already bidding on an ugly looking old La Peppina, that's enough risk taking for me, thank you).

The roasting bit was a breeze. Other than the smoke from the first dry run setting off the fire alarm buzzer, nothing dramatic happened. Quite a quiet roaster, I must say. And an extremely even, gentle roast. I get more oomph, variety and wildness in my heat gun roasts, but then, I almost never do them nowadays anyway, it's all oven at home for me. And the heat gun demands your full attention, while this roaster does almost all of the job itself.

So is it worth the money? Oh yes, definitely yes. Even for a seasoned old goat of an oven roaster like me. I'll be back after the next few roasts with more impressions of... well, of the roasts.
zix

Postby GreenBean » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:04 pm

zix wrote:Aaand, it has arrived!
Aaannnd.... I did my first roast with it!
And... Yes, it was drinkable. Even palatable, or should I say tasty? You UK residents tell me, cause I am just a Swede (no, not going to do that old joke again, you do that if you want) and know noooothing. Or close to nothing.

What a nice little machine it is. The Behmor, I mean. Looks much better in reality than in the pictures. I particularly like the chaff stop thingy, just because it looks like Meccano. It does want to get stuck unless you watch carefully how you take it out, but since the stress of moving the beans from the roaster to the cooling tray is gone with the Behmor's cooling function, I don't think we will have a problem with that. (I hear some people turbo-cool their beans somewhere else than in the Behmor but don't think we will go quite to that level of nerdiness with this machine. I am already bidding on an ugly looking old La Peppina, that's enough risk taking for me, thank you).

The roasting bit was a breeze. Other than the smoke from the first dry run setting off the fire alarm buzzer, nothing dramatic happened. Quite a quiet roaster, I must say. And an extremely even, gentle roast. I get more oomph, variety and wildness in my heat gun roasts, but then, I almost never do them nowadays anyway, it's all oven at home for me. And the heat gun demands your full attention, while this roaster does almost all of the job itself.

So is it worth the money? Oh yes, definitely yes. Even for a seasoned old goat of an oven roaster like me. I'll be back after the next few roasts with more impressions of... well, of the roasts.

It is good to see someone so excited about roasting. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:23 pm

GreenBean wrote:It is good to see someone so excited about roasting. :D

Well, I'm also very excited about roasting, but a bit hesitant to always write about it. I'm particularly excited about roasting 5 new CoE coffees that I bought before going on holiday. I will begin with two Brazil coffees that should be stunning. Will report here.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:40 pm

bruceb wrote:
GreenBean wrote:It is good to see someone so excited about roasting. :D

Well, I'm also very excited about roasting, but a bit hesitant to always write about it. I'm particularly excited about roasting 5 new CoE coffees that I bought before going on holiday. I will begin with two Brazil coffees that should be stunning. Will report here.

I trust it was a very enjoyable and relaxing holiday. I am such a sad old git that I find the best thing about a holiday is getting back home to roast and enjoy my own coffee. :oops: :?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:02 pm

GreenBean wrote:I trust it was a very enjoyable and relaxing holiday. I am such a sad old git that I find the best thing about a holiday is getting back home to roast and enjoy my own coffee. :oops: :?

Thanks GB, it was a lovely holiday, once again for 10 days on Mallorca. I will start another thread here about my coffee (and other) experiences on the island so as not to hijack this thread. Yes, I also have those thoughts of returning home to my coffee machinery, but this year I did have some truly drinkable espresso on the island. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques