Where can I buy green coffee beans in UK

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Where can I buy green coffee beans in UK

Postby lizzie » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:37 am

I bought my first supply of green beans back from holiday in America this summer. We've run out now and when I went to order more I discovered that UK tax was charged on each delivery making the beans expensive. Can anyone recomment UK websites that supply green beans please? I'm using a popcorn popper at the moment and am very pleased with the results.
lizzie

Postby michel » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:53 am

Cant help you with the greens Lizzie (but I'm sure our UK members can and will tomorrow morning).
What I just want to say is that its nice to have another one around with insomnia... :shock:

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Raf » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:23 am

Lizzie, you could start with the UK Coffee Links on the home page (go to Coffee Links > UK), where you will find a lot of green bean sellers. We have some members as well who are in the coffee trade, I'm sure they will contact you.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:11 am

The best sources are in the Coffee Resources menu (renamed from Coffee Links as we're now including info about places that don't have web sites), as Raf says.

Most people I know in the UK tend to use either Hasbean, Hill & Valley or Sweet Marias, although some well known pundits use other sources too.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:01 am

Lizzie wrote:when I went to order more I discovered that UK tax was charged on each delivery making the beans expensive

No, this is quite wrong. As has been said many times both in TMC and alt.coffee, green coffee is classed as food. It is zero-rated for VAT and no import duty is levied in my experience (and I have imported over £100 worth on several occasions).

If you want to buy from the US then the only issue you face is that of shipping costs. Surface freight makes the product cost effective but takes 6 - 8 weeks. Air freight makes the cost prohibitive.

You won't be disappointed with the UK vendors. Give 'em a try.

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques