Dark continental roasting

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Dark continental roasting

Postby santos » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:11 pm

For a long time now I have had lots of customers who like a dark continental roasted coffee, my choice of bean is Brazil Santos that is at the moment £3810 per metric ton, I have dark roasted Kenya in the past but it has come up very bitter, have any of you roasted any coffee as a continental roast? I would like to post a video of me roasting on my Whitmee, is that possible?

Kind Regards
Paul
santos

RE: Dark continental roasting

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Upload it to YouTube and post a link Paul or submit it to the 'Downloads' section via the menu (on the left) :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby orrinoconnor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:20 pm

Please do Paul, I am looking forward to seeing your roaster going!
orrinoconnor

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Yes, please do post a video of your Whitmee!

I recently did a dark roast of an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and it tastes like burnt toast. I took the beans into second crack and then waited 30 sec before ejecting them. They had a little oil on the surface, but don't look black or burnt, but they don't taste good so I cannot recommend them. My best dark roasts are with a Brazilian Santos and various Colombian beans. Indonesian beans can be roasted dark, but they become even more exotic tasting than they normally are. You might give it a try sometime. I have had some good results with a Sumatra Lintong taken well into second crack.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby davidbondy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:28 am

I have recently made a trial blend of Brazilian (unspecified origin) and Ethiopian Sidamo beans. 50/50 proportions. Roasted very dark in my Behmor. It is delightful. Dark, full-bodied with a lovely finish.

DB
davidbondy

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques