I said I would try it!

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

I said I would try it!

Postby orrinoconnor » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Yes, the double roast!
I just had to try.
Put 125gms of the Bolivia Finca Machacamarca into the Behmor and hit P5: this program ramps up the power gradually.
Once the beans started to take just a little colour (in there for 5.20) I hit cool.
Brought them back to room temp.
I then started P5 again; I expected the beans to colour up very fast in the second roast but they didn't.
It took 10.50 seconds before I hit cool, this was just about the end of 1st crack.
They look beautiful and smell lovely just out of the roaster,,,,, a deeper coffee smell than normal. Nothing burnt about them, no charcoal, no black.
I will wait a day or so before I try them and report back again.

In the mean time keep your cat away from the roaster!
Poor Socke!!
orrinoconnor

RE: I said I would try it!

Postby icke » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:58 am

hmmm, seems that my post may have triggered some experiments...? ;)

i just did it to recover from an 'accident', the intention was not to try something new. my hottop had dumped the beans (stopping the roast) at around 195C, which is before 1st crack starts. so instead of throwing those still slightly green'ish beans into the bin, i asked here what to do with them. i took bruce's suggestion, re-roasted and found the coffee to be drinkable but certainly a lot less good than what they usually can be like.
a single sample surely doesn't have any statistical significance, i know but i'm pretty sure that i won't try that again (unless my hottop 'forces' me to... ;).

i am however curious to hear what you think after trying...
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Icke, you are quite correct, it was your accident that made me curious!
The beans you re-roasted would have been further on in the roast than my own.
I have read other posts from way back in 2005 and there was various opinions and views on double roasting.
Perhaps the most notable was Hasbean Steve's he just didn't see any point to dual roasting and thought it only removed flavor from the bean.
His opinion is to keep the heat on.
However me being an adventurous creature; some would say perverse,
I like to try things for my self, I suppose it's how I learn.
As a child I always had to take my toys apart to see how they worked; this rarely improved the toy but it didn't stop me. I'm the same to this day! :roll:
I do look forward to trying this experimental roast, perhaps tomorrow!
orrinoconnor

Postby santos » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:32 pm

As you roast coffee the natural sugars and carbohydrates found in a raw coffee bean caramelize and that process produces the oil that gives coffee its flavor, if you have only just started the roast and something goes wrong, then you can re-roast the coffee but if the bean is all most finished roasting ie: after the first crack then you will only burn off the oil and decrease the coffee flavor.

Hope this helps
Paul
santos

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Well, I just had a cup of the Double Roast Liquid.
My verdict: I wouldn't be put off doing it again.
I think some would love it and some hate it.
The flavor was definitely more a much more robust Roasty Malty with almost a Licorice undertone, but nothing unpleasant, or burnt.
The flavor is very lingering. It might be of use with a coffee that your not really at home with as espresso and want to try something to make it cut through milk better to use it up!
orrinoconnor

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques