pre crack roast

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

pre crack roast

Postby icke » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:15 pm

what should i do with some 250g limoncillo that have been accidentally dumped before 1st crack... some of the beans even have a bit of a greenish tint to them...
(teaches me to no listen to old vinyl records through headphones while the hottop is urgently beeping for my attention...)

i guess the only solution there is the rubbish bin, right? or keeping it for the next visit of the in-laws?
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

RE: pre crack roast

Postby bruceb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:34 am

This has been discussed quite often. Some say bin them and forget them. I say, why not try re-roasting them. I have done it a number of times and the results, while not perfect, have been perfectly drinkable. You have nothing to lose really. Just pop them in the roaster and take them through 1st crack and then watch them carefully. The generally react quite normally, but of course take somewhat less time than normal. If you try it let us know what you think.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: pre crack roast

Postby icke » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:00 pm

done - 1st crack happened ver yearly (under 190C) and slowly stretched quit a while. 2nd started a bit early too (about 203C). dropped them then. they look very nice. don't think that i ever saw such an even looking roast coming out of my hottop.
they have until monday now to rest a bit, i'll report back then.

dankeschoen bruce :)
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Re: RE: pre crack roast

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:11 pm

icke wrote:done - 1st crack happened ver yearly (under 190C) and slowly stretched quit a while. 2nd started a bit early too (about 203C). dropped them then. they look very nice. don't think that i ever saw such an even looking roast coming out of my hottop.
they have until monday now to rest a bit, i'll report back then.

dankeschoen bruce :)

Perhaps it may start a new trend for pre-roasting if it turns out well! 8)
I think it would be a shame to have dumped the beans, I look forward to hearing how they turn out.
When I am roasting it is always somewhere at the back of my mind that the Behmor might decide to end early and I wonder what I might do.
orrinoconnor

RE: Re: RE: pre crack roast

Postby icke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:54 am

well, i don't think that i'll start a new double roasting trend here . i just had a shot of my double-roasted limoncillo and as bruce said, it's drinkable. but it's not comparable to what the limoncillo usually tastes like. it seems to be less sweet and fruity. instead i find some slightly harsh tones (bitterness). but it's not undrinkable and possible would be totally unnoticeable in a milk based drink. will see if the missus spots the mishap it in her americanos...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby lukas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:52 am

I believe double roasting can be used to remove/reduce off-tastes in sub-specialty coffee. The same 'less-everything' naturally applies to the undesirable parts of the flavour/aroma as well. I know a few long-established roasteries that are doing this, but I do not believe they're aware that better coffee would be better roasted just once :)

I'd love to be taught better since I've developed quite a strong prejudice around double roasting in the past ...
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby bruceb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:30 am

I feel a bit responsible for this because I have related a number of adventures in which I "rescued" beans that had been prematurely dumped. This is an emergency procedure, not a suggestion for standard operations. I said from the beginning that I only use this to rescue roasts gone wrong. My idea is that you might wind up with a drinkable batch of coffee and if not you can still bin it after the second roast, in other words, you have nothing to lose. I see no advantage whatsoever to double roasting under any other conditions.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby kingseven » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:47 pm

There is a company out there with a patented triple roast...

I think morbid curiosity best describes my feelings there....
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 am

Have you sampled it Jim?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Jim's mad, but not that mad.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Jasonscheltus » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 pm

i participated in a sensory training exercise where one of the samples was a double roast. We cupped it blind, and it cupped up a lot better than the "baked" and the "fast" roasts.

I think there are definitely common practises that produce a worse flavour than the double roast.
Jasonscheltus

Re: RE: Re: RE: pre crack roast

Postby bruceb » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Jasonscheltus wrote:i participated in a sensory training exercise where one of the samples was a double roast. We cupped it blind, and it cupped up a lot better than the "baked" and the "fast" roasts.

I think there are definitely common practises that produce a worse flavour than the double roast.

That's interesting Jason, thanks for sharing that. I defend this practice as an emergency measure because some years ago my "automatic" roaster decided it was time to dump the beans just before they entered first crack. Since they were beans from Molokai, Hawaii, brought back by a friend who paid big money for them I couldn't bear to just bin them, so I let them cool down and then reroasted them. I guess it was just evidence that you couldn't ruin great beans because they were some of the best I had ever tasted. :D
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:37 pm

I know many will say NO.
Bruce will probably reiterate that he only re-roasted as a last resort instead of dumping half roasted beans.
I'm still going to give it a go on my next roast,,,, just to try it! :twisted:
orrinoconnor

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques