Insomnia and roasters

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Insomnia and roasters

Postby GreenBean » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Inspired by orrinoconnor's "Cats and roasters" post I can't help noticing the propensity of roasters to post here in the middle of the night. :shock:

Are roasters generally insomniacs? If so could it be related to caffein intake from the roasting fumes or drinking too much coffee? :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Insomnia and roasters

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:49 pm

I believe it is related to the well-known phantom angst referred to as "waiting for third crack." Roasters suffering from this syndrome never find peace, never relax, never go to bed. Eventually they become what are known as (shudder) Black Bean Zombies. The only known cure is to buy a roaster with a drum big enough to sleep in. (Mains switch interlock in the pillow or duvee recommended).
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:25 pm

If one is to get a stable voltage suitable for fine roasting one must wait until after midnight when the world has gone to bed.
With all this clean power it is also the best time for firing up the HiFi.
Strangely enough the chosen music also seems to greatly influence the roast results; I find a lot of discordant melody and erratic timing will give a very wild character to the aroma's and flavors in the end product.
orrinoconnor

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:29 pm

It might just be an overwhelming need for midnight muffin hunting in some cases ....... :oops:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lsjms » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:38 pm

I just assumed we were all staying up to roast on off peak electric. Stupid assumption though, my roasters on gas.

I roast to stop the voices.
lsjms

Postby GeoffsCigars » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:40 pm

lsjms wrote: I roast to stop the voices.

They come to visit me at 3:00 am, and whisper in my ear "Time to start Roasting!"

Added: This may be why the next door neighbour tells me that even though he leaves for work at 6:00 am, I must have been up a long time before him to have burned so much toast he could smell it before he came out of the house! A coffee Philistine!
GeoffsCigars

Postby orrinoconnor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:17 am

GeoffsCigars wrote:
lsjms wrote: I roast to stop the voices.

I must have been up a long time before him to have burned so much toast he could smell it before he came out of the house! A coffee Philistine!

Yes coffee roasting has a very special smell, it's certainly nothing the uninitiated would imagine it to be!
orrinoconnor

Postby GreenBean » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:55 am

I think I can take it from these very interesting replies that the roasters here are a "special" bunch even by the high standards of TMC members. :?

I am impressed that everyone admits to their nocturnal habits although each rationalises their behaviour differently.

I am ashamed to say that I am the odd one out again in that that my nocturnal habits do not include roasting coffee or posting on TMC. :oops: I do admit that I am intrigued by the waiting for third crack theory postulated by Bruce and have some sympathy with the nocturnal muffin hunting suggested by Cakeboy. I expect that it will not be long now until the voices visit me and I will join you in your nocturnal pursuits. :( :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby orrinoconnor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 pm

GreenBean,
In you own words, "welcome to the madhouse"
orrinoconnor

Postby GreenBean » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 pm

orrinoconnor wrote:GreenBean,

Well, I am shocked Ray! I hold TMC and it's members in the highest regard and do not believe that I would ever disparage them in such a way. :oops:

Please provide a link to the relevant post so that I can consider how to make amends. :wink: :D

GreenBean

Postby orrinoconnor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:48 pm

GreenBean wrote:
orrinoconnor wrote:GreenBean,

Well, I am shocked Ray! I hold TMC and it's members in the highest regard and do not believe that I would ever disparage them in such a way. :oops:

Please provide a link to the relevant post so that I can consider how to make amends. :wink: :D

GB, I humbly apologise and beg your forgiveness, for my mistake, it was not you after all.
http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... ht=#118307
Of course as the term was used in an inclusive and affectionate context we took no offense.
orrinoconnor

Postby bruceb » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:53 am

GB has many pseudonyms. :roll: :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:50 am

bruceb wrote:GB has many pseudonyms. :roll: :lol:

And also many personalities, don't forget the multiple personalities. :shock: :evil: :? :oops: :cry: :lol:

Mwah ha ha ha ha. :D :wink:

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Oh oh! Image
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:34 pm

bruceb wrote:GB has many pseudonyms. :roll: :lol:

In that case Cakey would like some Muffins!
orrinoconnor

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques