Cats and Roasters

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cats and Roasters

Postby orrinoconnor » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:57 pm

I have been looking over many old posts some from 03 and it seems many of the roasting world have at least a soft spot for cats.
I do not mean eating the poor cats Cakey; before you say it!
Just an observation!!
orrinoconnor

RE: Cats and Roasters

Postby bruceb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 pm

As noted in another thread, our cats do all the roasting in our house with the help of Greenbean's software. Our cats have not been declawed, so the coffee is not clawfree, but it still is purrfect. :oops:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Cats and Roasters

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:47 am

I love cats ...... no eat them :shock:

Eat muffins :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Cats and Roasters

Postby orrinoconnor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:44 am

bruceb wrote:Our cats have not been declawed.

How wise Bruce, at least if the poor creature is attacked it will have a fighting chance.
Declawing is a barbaric and cruel piece of butchery that should have been outlawed with tail docking and ear cropping.
orrinoconnor

Postby GreenBean » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:24 pm

I guess I must be the exception that proves the rule. can not say that I have a soft spot for cats and certainly not around my coffee. How do you guys train your cats to recognise that your freshly roasted beans left out to cool are not a litter tray? :?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby motoman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Anyone thinking of roasting their cat in a Behmor should remove the chaff CATcher and be prepared for problems fitting puss into the drum. A modified sink plunger comes in useful here.
The 'P' setting is unimportant but you must always of course push the 'C' button for ideal results.All cat lovers will know that the roasting proceedure mut be repeated nine times with a cleaning cycle after roast five.

Storing you cat should be fairly easy as long as you dig the hole deep enough. I suggest a seven year maturing period coupled with a loss of memory.

For you cat lovers I suggest that it be cooked slowly in a white wine sauce, served on a bed of green veg with new potatoes and garlic butter. Roasting leaves them a bit chewey and is only good in a really hot Korean curry.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby orrinoconnor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:16 pm

GreenBean wrote: How do you guys train your cats to recognise that your freshly roasted beans left out to cool are not a litter tray? :?

Just thinking it could be a whole new rage,,,, first Kopi Luwak now the home brew TMC version,,, using Robusta perhaps Steve could market it for us.
Pussy Luwak £300 a pound.
orrinoconnor

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:54 pm

GreenBean wrote:I guess I must be the exception that proves the rule. can not say that I have a soft spot for cats and certainly not around my coffee. How do you guys train your cats to recognise that your freshly roasted beans left out to cool are not a litter tray? :?

I think there may be some misunderstanding here. I am loathe to give away trade secrets, but when I speak of cats "roasting," I speak of litter boxes. The product goes, obviously to anyone who has been there, to that famous coffee chain that prefers very very dark roasts. The poor little devils (my cats, I mean) have to eat buckets of liver so that their "beans" are dark enough for that illustrious specialty house. The next time you visit one of these famous chains and sip their well-know brew just remember the sweet little face of my avatar (unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the "roasting" end.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GeoffsCigars » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Actually, when I look at the dark roast beans in Starbucks, it's rabbits that come to mind, rather than cats!
GeoffsCigars

Postby GreenBean » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:51 am

motoman wrote:For you cat lovers I suggest that it be cooked slowly in a white wine sauce, served on a bed of green veg with new potatoes and garlic butter. Roasting leaves them a bit chewey and is only good in a really hot Korean curry.

Sounds delicious. :D I think I may get to like cats after all. :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby dr.chris » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:34 pm

Apparently in WW2 they were known as roof rabbit in some parts of the continent.

For the record we have 2 13 yr old tabby girls (alongside the pets - the rats, millipedes, ants, 2 kinds of stick insects, preying mantids, crickets etc)

One of the cats was spotted testing the wife's cappucino one time. She (the wife) is a lot more careful where she puts the cup nowadays
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Just a note on cats and dogs: My wife received a book as a birthday present last month. The title (translated): "Dogs have masters, cats have can openers." Image
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:35 pm

bruceb wrote:Just a note on cats and dogs: My wife received a book as a birthday present last month. The title (translated): "Dogs have masters, cats have can openers." Image

I knew there was a good reason why I do not like cats. I am not a can opener. :P :wink:

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:50 pm

GreenBean wrote:
bruceb wrote:Just a note on cats and dogs: My wife received a book as a birthday present last month. The title (translated): "Dogs have masters, cats have can openers." Image

I knew there was a good reason why I do not like cats. I am not a can opener. :P :wink:

Yeah, cats avoid people that have trouble opening tins. :twisted:
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:54 am

bruceb wrote:
GreenBean wrote:

Yeah, cats avoid people that have trouble opening tins. :twisted:

Cats don't avoid me, I avoid them. :roll: :wink:

GreenBean

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques